Best Locker for 14Bolt FF in 85 K30

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
My main issue with the Detroit was on pavement or hard pack. Just pulling out of the driveway and any amount of turning would send shockwaves thru the drivetrain to the point it affected shifting into gear. Again, this was never noticeable when it had the automatic transmission. It was very noticeable after the 4500 swap.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
My main issue with the Detroit was on pavement or hard pack. Just pulling out of the driveway and any amount of turning would send shockwaves thru the drivetrain to the point it affected shifting into gear. Again, this was never noticeable when it had the automatic transmission. It was very noticeable after the 4500 swap.
It'll sure do that, especially if it's working real good. It's worse in some vehicles than others too. I'd imagine you probably had some real good tires that were either big or gripped the ground real good. You mention even hard pack, so I'm thinking wide tires. Soft rubber or smaller tires that don't grip that ground as good you won't notice the shock through the powertrain near as bad as you mention since the tires are more forgiving. You just had some good tires so you felt every bit of it.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
I dunno, the gov-bomb in my 14bff help up great to tractor tire like 39x18" treads in mud and rocks

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I dunno, the gov-bomb in my 14bff help up great to tractor tire like 39x18" treads in mud and rocks
They can, they're for sure stronger in the Full Floater by design. And when they do fail, they don't explode like they do in the 10 and 12 bolts. They'll either strip the teeth off the governor ring or break the spring loaded governor itself. The good thing there too is, since it don't explode, it won't leave you stranded. It just won't lock up anymore is all. So many times, people will claim it's great and there's is holding up and they don't realize it's not working since they're able to drive and it's not making any strange noises.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
echo 53