AM/FM Radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robert Norman

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom C30
Engine Size
I am looking for AM/FM radio for 86 square body. I have my old one it just doesnt work. Is there a place anyone knows of that rebuilds these? Or one forsale?

3dbello

Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Hi Robert,

Out in my area there aren't many stereo repair shops anymore, but I'm in the same boat as you looking for some for sale, or to fix what I've got too. I have started working on mine on my own and just used google as a resource by looking up the serial number/model number of the stereo.

I checked on eBay, craigslist, and facebook marketplace for used ones. Seems the trend is they are becoming more and more rare/popular that the prices are outrageous. So much so that I'm likely going to just buy a new one from Retro Sound knowing it's got updated components and technology in it.

Good luck and I hope you find what you need!

3dbello

Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
After buying a few used ones that turned out to be duds I just bit the bullet and bought a retrosound model with bluetooth
Yeah, this is what I fear too. I haven't bought any used ones yet, but I've been looking. After reading your comment, I may just have to go RetroSound too and save my time/sanity hahaha.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I am looking for AM/FM radio for 86 square body. I have my old one it just doesnt work. Is there a place anyone knows of that rebuilds these? Or one forsale?
Here's a link and referral to someone who fixes them,supposedly very well.

Last edited:

GTX63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I saw a webpage a few months ago for a guy on the west side of the country that rebuilds the old radios. You ship them out, pay and wait. He seemed legit but for the price I can just keep putting OEM radios in my trucks and planting a cheapie blue tooth tube on the floor in front of the seat and it sounds about the same.
BTW, I bought a half dozen last year at swap meets that were supposedly working units. They all powered up but some only lit up, a few only crackled, one played for a few seconds at a time between static and one worked as advertised. The biggest issue with the old Delcos are dirt and failed capacitors/transistors.

496bb

Reaction score
First Name
CL
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban R20
Engine Size
Took the am/fm only radio out, sold it online for like $50 and coulda sold 10 of em! Who knew? I have a few old shaft mount Kenwood radios, wish I had an Alpine. I'm just gonna go with that shaft mount Kenwood, connect it to a Hifonics EQ that allows dual inputs, then use one of those Apple Car Play mirrors or displays as the other input. Can roll down the road listening to good ole radio on an old school radio, or switch over and have some more hi-fi with access to digital library or XM radio. Best of both worlds!

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I used to find them at pick and pull yards. Most had problems with scratchy controls. Bought cans of spray contact cleaner and drenched the inside with it while moving the knobs. Nearly everyone one came out of it. In the last few years those radios have dried up.

Keep in mind GM used the same radio in cars. Only mounting brackets and knobs were different.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
I thought I had something for ya.
But I don't.

I just have a two post AM unit in my stash.
You must be registered for see images attach

Old Guy Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I used to do repairs on those radios & cassette decks way back when..
finding matching capacitors can be very difficult now though. My eyes aren’t what they were then though.
I still do occasional repairs for friends on some late 70s early 80s home receivers and guitar amps, but only a few brands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LazyBonez22