AC Compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

texasmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Is there anyone out there who has an original 1984 GM R4 compressor setup who can tell me what the distance is from the front face of the unit to the center of the drive pulley. The specified Gates belt no. is 7555 and is 13/32" wide. It would also help to know what the length is for the spacer which fits on the bottom mounting bolt. All of the replacement new compressors I have found have a wider pulley, almost 1/2", and the belt will not fit correctly on the other pulley's.

Dano500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@texasmike hello, I noticed your post in a search looking for length of spacer at bottom. Did you find out? I have an 84 k20.

Thanks,
-Dan

texasmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hey Dan.
I didn’t get a single reply to my questions. Certainly I’m not the only guy who has had to replace an R4 compressor. And someone out there has got to have an old original compressor laying around to tell me what that distance is from the face to the center of the clutch pulley. Really unusual not to get any replies.

Thanks for your reply, it tells me that the question did get posted.

Mike

Lugnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
1979, 1986
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
'79) 350/ granny 4-speed, '86) 350/A833 3-speed with overdrive
The spacer on my '81 is 1.400" measured with a set of dial calipers.

From the front of the compressor to the center of the belt groove is approximately 1.2" with an eyeball.

Hope this helps.

Dano500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@Lugnut- thanks, man... I found it on a site, but they wanted $25! lol Now that I know the length, I can buy a cheap spacer, or cut one.

Lugnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
1979, 1986
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
'79) 350/ granny 4-speed, '86) 350/A833 3-speed with overdrive
No problem, if it helps the OD is 7/8" with a 1/2" hole through it. You can go to your local hardware store and pick up a short pipe nipple and cut off the threads and cut the center to length for a few dollars and no one will know the difference.

texasmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Jason,
I'm not very proficient with typing and this internet stuff. I'm in the process of buying my fourth compressor. This one is a Four Seasons 58240 and the mounting flange distance is 1.5". All of these compressors are manufactured by Standard Motor Products (SMP) at a factory in Mexico. My big problem is wearing out belts. I finally switched to a Gates 9565 belt and it fits the compressor correctly but rides high in the other pulley's. Eyeballing my setup, which is stock, it appears my compressor needs to move forward a little bit. The Murray and Delco compressors (#58231) mounting flange distance is 1.2", like yours. I believe this next compressor will correct the alignment problem and using the larger belt, it won't wear out as fast. When it starts the slow leaking like all the others have, I'll just have to add R134A.

silverbackreef

Reaction score
First Name
Dude
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
My '86 C10.

Compressor front to center of pulley: 1.532
Belt: .430
Spacer on top bracket: .815

Hope this helps.

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
I don't know if this is going to help, but it might add a little insight. Back when I finally had to replace the original R4 on my '84 305 (LG4), I encountered what I thought were some anomalies.
The original R4 compressors were later called 'R4 Heavy' when the newer, light weight clutch was in production. This is the original.

You must be registered for see images attach

I picked up one of the last GM/Delphi made compressors to replace it. It was hard to find, so I had the intention of changing the clutch from the serpentine pulley. I got what I thought to be the correct clutch (from a truck), also pictured with it.

As it turns out, that clutch/pulley has the belt spaced positioned too far out from the compressor.

This is the clutch that I actually needed.

Sorry the above picture is cut off. Seemed to be the only one I still have. The belts were aligned and the Gates belt (unknown #) fit down in the pulley well (same belt was on the R4 Heavy) Incidentally, the 'correct' clutch I used fits an '86 Old Cutlass Ciera with a 2.5 4 cylinder.

Between the janky spacers on the compressor mounts getting changed over the years (I bought mine new, so I knew it was still correct), GM selling the compressor design and tooling to Compressor Works, and possible other differences and errors getting into parts listings over 40 years, I'm not convinced the parts listings are always correct on these.

Last edited:

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
I double checked, that Vee belt clutch I used was actually from an '85 Olds Ciera w/2.5L 4 cylinder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zwc0442