84 4x4 c10 starting issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matthamner

Reaction score
First Name
matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C 10
Engine Size
hi guys i need some help on my truck and dont know where to start. the problem im having is that i cant get my starter to engage. i have a new battery and everything on my truck turns on but when i turn the key nothing happens. i tryed arking the posts on the stater and i cant get it to move all the wireing is good nothing is melted or burnt. i took my starter to have it tested at autozone and it moved on the machine but it was failing every time it was taking a little bit for it to speed up. what im worried about is that is was working fine one day and the next it didnt. should i replace the starter or is the something wrong in my cuolmn. iv only had the the truck for a few weeks and i just want use it for driving around and hitting a hole everyonce in a while but i just need to get it fixed any ideal? thanks matt

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
Yes replace the starter. If it is having trouble on the test stand at AZ then it wont turn the motor over because of the resistence. The starter is probably drawing more amprage then it should which is whats wrong with it.

matthamner

Reaction score
First Name
matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C 10
Engine Size
well i cant even get it to move at all thats why its confusing me because it moved for them but thank for the advice

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Starter sounds to be junk. Did they tell you it was bad Sure it will move without a motor to connect to. It's weak obviously. Do you hear it click as if it engages in your flywheel? If AZ says it's bad, then it's bad. Many times they will say a bad starter is good, but rarely ever will a bad one be good. If they say it's bad, it's bad.

matthamner

Reaction score
First Name
matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C 10
Engine Size
thanks for the help guys im going to get one later tommarow and see what it does. ill post when i have a new one on
thanks matt

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
thanks for the help guys im going to get one later tommarow and see what it does. ill post when i have a new one on
thanks matt

Yah, let us know how ya make out man. :grd:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boss9