'77 Vandura radio not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
so wired directly to the battery sounds like they werent using the Radio tap on the fuse panel. @Turbo4whl were you an expert on the fuse panels? Someone here is very knowledgeable. Im thinking the switched ignition is the tap, and the fuse itself is the constant.
Taylor, since you asked, the old GM fuse panel had some hidden features. You can easily see in @heartbraker666 picture the 3 vertical fuses at the bottom are key on switched. Hidden feature #1: The radio will not work if the backup lights have a short and burn the fuse. This is a safety feature to let you know you have no backup lights.

Moving to the headlight switch, it has several power feeds, all are hot all the time. Easy to see in the fuse panel the taillight and parking light fuse. The brake light fuse also feeds the headlight switch for the dash lights. Current through the panel resister, back to the fuse panel at the 3 amp fuse, then to the gauge cluster light and radio light. (factory radio) This is hidden feature #2: Panel lights out, maybe no brake lights. The next power feed to the headlight switch for the headlights, no fuse. The headlights have a circuit breaker. Where is this... in the headlight switch! This feature #3, allows the headlights to re-light if the short is intermittent.

Don't want to forget the last headlight switch power feed. It is from the dome lights, hot all the time, so the switch completes the ground. Yeah, headlight switch has a ground wire, or the mounting bracket will ground it.

For Allie back to the radio. Factory radio has a 6 or 8 connection gang plug. Some people don't use it for a aftermarket radio. Some others will cut it off and butt connect wires. You can, or could use a jumper plug that matches the GM plug too.

heartbraker666

Reaction score
First Name
Allie
Truck Year
Truck Model
Vandura 2500
Engine Size

Taylor, since you asked, the old GM fuse panel had some hidden features. You can easily see in @heartbraker666 picture the 3 vertical fuses at the bottom are key on switched. Hidden feature #1: The radio will not work if the backup lights have a short and burn the fuse. This is a safety feature to let you know you have no backup lights.

Moving to the headlight switch, it has several power feeds, all are hot all the time. Easy to see in the fuse panel the taillight and parking light fuse. The brake light fuse also feeds the headlight switch for the dash lights. Current through the panel resister, back to the fuse panel at the 3 amp fuse, then to the gauge cluster light and radio light. (factory radio) This is hidden feature #2: Panel lights out, maybe no brake lights. The next power feed to the headlight switch for the headlights, no fuse. The headlights have a circuit breaker. Where is this... in the headlight switch! This feature #3, allows the headlights to re-light if the short is intermittent.

Don't want to forget the last headlight switch power feed. It is from the dome lights, hot all the time, so the switch completes the ground. Yeah, headlight switch has a ground wire, or the mounting bracket will ground it.

For Allie back to the radio. Factory radio has a 6 or 8 connection gang plug. Some people don't use it for a aftermarket radio. Some others will cut it off and butt connect wires. You can, or could use a jumper plug that matches the GM plug too.
Wow thanx. Great info.
After investigating, I found that it has been butt connected and it must have a bad ground somewhere. I reconnected the wiring , the radio worked great.. drive a couple miles then it cut out again.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
Great explanation by @Turbo4whl ! Feel like I need to save that info somewhere. Thank you!
@heartbraker666 just gonna need to straighten out the wiring. And decide if you want to restore OE wiring locations or not.
I would not, but may use oe switched wires to drive a relay to good power, since 70s wiring and fuses etc weren’t likely sized for a radio like that that probably pulls more juice because it has a bigger amp.
On another note, that is about the cleanest original everything especially under the dash I’ve seen. Looks like you got a time capsule that never even got dusty inside!

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Also, what are those ugly colors on the fuses for?

Like the mini spade lug fuses used now, the color bands on those old glass fuses indicates the amperage. Some fuse manufactures had them. No standardization.

Wow thanx. Great info.
After investigating, I found that it has been butt connected and it must have a bad ground somewhere. I reconnected the wiring , the radio worked great.. drive a couple miles then it cut out again.

So a guess about your older aftermarket radio. It could have a failing solder connection inside. The electronics inside heat up in use. Heat expands things and the connection opens up, the radio quits. Probably not what you want to hear. It also could be fixed, cost as much or more than a brand new replacement radio.

heartbraker666

Reaction score
First Name
Allie
Truck Year
Truck Model
Vandura 2500
Engine Size
Great explanation by @Turbo4whl ! Feel like I need to save that info somewhere. Thank you!
@heartbraker666 just gonna need to straighten out the wiring. And decide if you want to restore OE wiring locations or not.
I would not, but may use oe switched wires to drive a relay to good power, since 70s wiring and fuses etc weren’t likely sized for a radio like that that probably pulls more juice because it has a bigger amp.
On another note, that is about the cleanest original everything especially under the dash I’ve seen. Looks like you got a time capsule that never even got dusty inside!
Thanks ! It has 69k original miles. The old guy I bought it from got it to drive to Indiana and back a few times for work. It’s nearly perfect inside n out. Just has its lil quirks from sitting. I had old fords forever but I think this van changed my mind.

heartbraker666

Reaction score
First Name
Allie
Truck Year
Truck Model
Vandura 2500
Engine Size
Like the mini spade lug fuses used now, the color bands on those old glass fuses indicates the amperage. Some fuse manufactures had them. No standardization.

So a guess about your older aftermarket radio. It could have a failing solder connection inside. The electronics inside heat up in use. Heat expands things and the connection opens up, the radio quits. Probably not what you want to hear. It also could be fixed, cost as much or more than a brand new replacement radio.
Aw if that’s the case I’d be so bummed. I love the stereo system and would hate to change it!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaleC10