4 x 4 light flickering when engaged.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beachsuburban

Reaction score
First Name
J
Truck Year
Truck Model
v2500
Engine Size
Any ideas? I am thinking the switch but not sure where it is. Any help would be great. Thanks

EvilGenius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Darien
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The transfer case switch is located on the transfer case. It sits on the front half of the case right above the shifter linkage. It is pretty robust and I'm not sure of a failure mode off-hand that would cause the switch itself to cause intermittent flickering of the indicator light.

My guess at your issue is the gauge cluster itself. Based on my own experience with the gauges in these trucks, the bulb sockets do not make very good contact. I would start by pulling the gauge cluster and swapping the 4x4 indicator bulb with another one you know is rock solid to see if the flickering follows the bulb.

The other option is a bad ground. The 4x4 indicator does have it's own ground wire, but it just connects to the ground junction block on the parking brake bracket. If this ground location is bad it would have other cascading effects most likely. I did a write-up a while ago on how I rigged up my light to work here . Not sure how close this was to factory wiring, but I did attempt to make it work with factory equipment.

beachsuburban

Reaction score
First Name
J
Truck Year
Truck Model
v2500
Engine Size
Wow that is some great info! So it seems like its in the shifter. I have been driving the truck for years and just the other day when I was in 4 it came on and it was so awesome. Now I can get the flicker when moving the shifter around, getting a good light response when going between 4 hi and 4 lo.

beachsuburban

Reaction score
First Name
J
Truck Year
Truck Model
v2500
Engine Size
Any more ideas? If its flickers when moving the shifter around wouldn't that mean it is in the transfer case switch? When it first happened it was flickering when driving in 4, now I can get it to come on when moving the shifter around, if i find a good spot it will stay on but goes off when the shifter moves back to where it wants to be on its own.

Jgonick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I would start by looking at the switch & making sure the connection is good. The switch provides path to ground.
What does the 4wd lever lamp do? it uses the same ground. (The 4wd lever lamp needs the headlights/parking lights on to work. If it doesn't come on- bulb might be bad.)

Attachments

• 89_4wd.jpg
    89_4wd.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
I've had two of those switches fail. Haven't bothered replacing it again. Don't know if my experience is unique, but it hasn't been good.

Old Guy Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
It’s most likely a “ball detent” type of switch, it’s screwed into the case.
The shift lever part inside the case actuates the switch when in position.
Check the shift linkage at the TC, it may be sloppy there or you just need a new switch.

beachsuburban

Reaction score
First Name
J
Truck Year
Truck Model
v2500
Engine Size
Sounds like that is the place to start Bill. Thanks for sending me in that direction.

JBswth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
292 cubic inches
Wow that is some great info! So it seems like its in the shifter. I have been driving the truck for years and just the other day when I was in 4 it came on and it was so awesome. Now I can get the flicker when moving the shifter around, getting a good light response when going between 4 hi and 4 lo.
Does the transfer case shifter have linkage? If so, perhaps that is not adjusted right. I remember the backup lights did not stay on in the 81 C10 that I had. The gearshift linkage was not adjusted correctly, so when you put it in Reverse, the lever didn't go as far up as it was supposed to. Adjusted the linkage per shop manual instructions fixed that problem and the problem of it sometimes popping out of 1st gear.

J. B.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LazyBonez22