2 post VS 4 post lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WFarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
1975, 1987
Truck Model
K5 Blazer, R1500
Engine Size
454, 350 tbi
You’re definitely right about making your life easier. I installed my 2-post lift in 2016 and it’s the best tool I ever bought.

Mine is sized for lifting our diesel dually trucks, a Ram 3500 and Ford F-350. It’s also extra high as I’m 6’4”.

One thing to make you aware of is it can be a tight squeeze getting in and out of a vehicle. I’m thin and it’s tight for me. One solution is to pull up close, put car in neutral, get out and push it into position. Some 2-post lifts have the posts angled for more room but I don’t know how much more.

I’d love to find an old leather football helmet as I cannot count how many times I’ve cracked my noggin working under a truck!

You must be registered for see images attach

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The old single post got in the way for some undercar work and didn't work well if a transfer case was hanging down. 4 post are good for that but the added height of the rails makes removing motors an almost chain fall affair. The best all round is 2 post. Yes, have to be more deliberate with balance and setting the arms. One person commented on the arms kicking out. I don't think that is an issue with newer hoists. I know the HD Mohawk has locks and both the Bend Paks at work do as well.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I prefer 4 post as to me, they are safer. Yes, it can be cumbersome, takes up a lot of square footage, etc but I don't have to worry about efficiency as I am only working on my own car.

Unfortunately my garage isn't tall enough to put a lift in that I could stand under so I am doing two things until I raise the roof. One is a portable low rise max jack that I can use for brakes, gen work, etc in my garage. The other thing, which is something my friend did, was put the 4 post outside and buy a metal carport that attached to the lift and raises/ lowers with it.

As a side note, my HS had a very unique 2 post that I loved but only worked on RWD. One post went under the rear axle and had saddles that went under axle tubes like a truss. The front post could be moved forward/backward using a lever and then went under the control arms. I always felt safe under that lift.

Oldbear42

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shaine
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 LWB Scottsdale
Engine Size
I'll start this with the disclaimer that I have a 4-post. Both lifts are better than no lift. If I had room and money, I would have both. Each has its pros and cons. Here are some I have experienced.

2-posts:
- Smaller footprint
- Can be modified/attached for motorcycles and lawnmowers
- Easier to lift body off frame
- not good for storage (suspension hanging)
- better for axle swap/work
- Requires more floor prep

4-post:
- Better for storage (I park on mine with my daily)
- I feel safer doing four wheels at a time
- I feel safer reffing on stuff
- Easier/quicker to load different vehicles
- Takes less concrete/reno to install (I knew before my shop was built)
- Some are mobile within the shop with a caster wheel option (I don't like that style)
- Does take more room
- Will need jack trays or other options to lift to remove wheels
- Mine is a Bradbury Wheel-Free lift (UK MOT inspection lift imported to Canada)

Attachments

• IMG_8665.JPG
    IMG_8665.JPG
    175.6 KB · Views: 8

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
As a side note, my HS had a very unique 2 post that I loved but only worked on RWD.
A shop I worked at 15 years ago had 2 post inground hydraulic hoists. Used a gear arrangement that kept them timed side to side. Similar to 2 post above ground other than not having a big vertical beam in the way. They were completely worn out and totally dangerous, no arm locks. Hydraulics leaked down, arms kicked out, almost dropped several vehicles during the 7 years I was there.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Looking at the Atlas heavy duty 12k lift. Closer to my price range. Those Mohawk ones are boss hog Cadillac status nice tho.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I prefer 4 post as to me, they are safer. Yes, it can be cumbersome, takes up a lot of square footage, etc but I don't have to worry about efficiency as I am only working on my own car.

Unfortunately my garage isn't tall enough to put a lift in that I could stand under so I am doing two things until I raise the roof. One is a portable low rise max jack that I can use for brakes, gen work, etc in my garage. The other thing, which is something my friend did, was put the 4 post outside and buy a metal carport that attached to the lift and raises/ lowers with it.

As a side note, my HS had a very unique 2 post that I loved but only worked on RWD. One post went under the rear axle and had saddles that went under axle tubes like a truss. The front post could be moved forward/backward using a lever and then went under the control arms. I always felt safe under that lift.
I don't know how high your ceiling is,but I had an acquaintance,and it has been 25 years or so since I was there. As memory serve he didn't have enough ceiling height, went with a 2 post and an office chair,the kind that raises and lowers. He'd raise stuff as high as he could,set his chair height sit in the chair and get after it.

Last edited:

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Looking at the Atlas heavy duty 12k lift. Closer to my price range. Those Mohawk ones are boss hog Cadillac status nice tho.
I just tossed it out, many don't know the brand. Purchased a 15k when I had my own business. A little bit of an overkill for home use. Back then cost was 10k probably a lot more today.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REVLG