1987 Silverado fuel issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hamm

Reaction score
First Name
Hamm
Truck Year
Truck Model
V 10
Engine Size
Back to my oil pressure issue. I went to check the wire from the sending unit and I find that it has two wires in the connector, not one, as everybody says it should have if it is a "sending unit" for a gauge. Suggestions?

PS: Last time I started the truck, the gauge was reading off-the-scale high before starting. Then, after starting, it jumped down to reading about 50-60. With the connector pulled off, it reads very high before starting, and then doesn't change after starting.

PPS: Oreillys shows a unit with only one wire in the connector, while I have two. They say that type, with two wires, is for an idiot light, not a gauge. It's a mystery.

PPPS: OK. I see from further reading on this forum, that the unit by the distributor is the pressure switch, and the sending unit for the gauge is down by the oil filter.

Last edited:

hamm

Reaction score
First Name
Hamm
Truck Year
Truck Model
V 10
Engine Size
This time, after starting, I get no movement from the gauge. it just stays very high. Having trouble getting to the sensor near the oil filter, or even identifying it, for sure.

PS: If I have found it, it seems to be encased in some kind of round, sheet-metal shroud.

PPS: OK... all I did was wiggle the wire, and now the gauge resets to zero and reads close to 60 after starting. Once again, as with the fuel pump, my issue seems to just be poor connections.

Last edited:

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
87 might be different. My 90 burb has the oil pressure switch and the pressure reading for the gauge all in one behind the distributor.

YakkoWarner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wolf
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
87 might be different. My 90 burb has the oil pressure switch and the pressure reading for the gauge all in one behind the distributor.

They seem to just stick it wherever they want. My 1989 Suburban has it on the engine block itself just behind the power steering pump.

hamm

Reaction score
First Name
Hamm
Truck Year
Truck Model
V 10
Engine Size
Nope. It seems there are two on mine. A pressure switch by the distributor which keeps fuel supplied as long as there is oil pressure. That is apparently a backup for if the fuel pump relay fails. Then, there is the one for the gauge, which is down by the oil filter. Sure glad I didn't have to replace that one. It would be a nightmare to remove.

hamm

Reaction score
First Name
Hamm
Truck Year
Truck Model
V 10
Engine Size
One more crazy thing with connections. My temp gauge was acting up. It would flail about, wildly and then settle on maxed out. I cleaned the connection at the sender and now it reads the temp correctly most of the time. It still flails sometimes, but settles on the real temp.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
They seem to just stick it wherever they want. My 1989 Suburban has it on the engine block itself just behind the power steering pump.
Are you positive? I think you are looking at your coolant temperature sender. I've never seen a SBC oil pressure switch anywhere besides on the block by the oil filter or behind the distributor. 1 for the gauge 1 for the fuel pump or choke depending on the year.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
OK. Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. I have an old ECM which would quit working when it got hot. I already tried putting that one back in and it didn't help, but that was before I found the blown crank fuse. On the other hand, I don't seem to get 12v to the fuel pump connector by the fuel tank when I put 12v to the test lead at the fuel pump relay. That could not be due to the ECM, so I'm still baffled in general.
Or the old one you put in that you knew was failing popped the fuse.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Are you positive? I think you are looking at your coolant temperature sender. I've never seen a SBC oil pressure switch anywhere besides on the block by the oil filter or behind the distributor. 1 for the gauge 1 for the fuel pump or choke depending on the year.

Im guessing they have a big block.

YakkoWarner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wolf
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size

Ahh that could explain the confusion then - I have the big block. It definately is the oil sensor/switch (3 wires, 1 to gauge 2 for fuel pump backup).

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I thought so as well,not sure that a 2 piece would swap. Gut says it will need trimming
Well I put this on the wrong post I was replying about the one piece fanshroud. Not the oil pressure switch. I was confused,I confused other people,other people confused me. There's too dam many broken trucks on this forumn.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Well I put this on the wrong post I was replying about the one piece fanshroud. Not the oil pressure switch. I was confused,I confused other people,other people confused me. There's too dam many broken trucks on this forumn.

My broken trucks probably account for 25% of them, lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lukas