What new tools have you got lately?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Do not buy cheap taps,if money's a problem buy the ones you need in the size you need,as you need them Also buy the correct size drill bit to keep with it. It's not just a convienence factor,it's not galling threads in a block or breaking a bound up tap off. And in general be careful with taps and dies,slow,careful, if it's starts to feel funny back it out,clean out the chips,lubricant and continue, research when you need a bottom tap.I have no idea over time how many guys brought us blocks or heads with Taps or EZ Outs broke off in them. And you cannot drill out broken taps or EZ Outs. They shouldn't even be called EZ Out they should be called Fukt up your whole week thingy.
Yes I agree, im fortunate I have a lot of old quality ish taps from my gpa but none of them were organized, and a lot of them have surface rusted so I cant read them for the size some of the time. But im working on getting them all together, then sorting. Got about 2 coffee cans worth of them lol. Not many handles but I find them here and there.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
i have a plastic case set from menards.. pure junk. probably can clean threads ok but for cutting them.. no. the taps were better than the dies in this regard, but the hardness on the taps doesnt seem up to snuff. Now the hardness on my plug thread chaser is really nice, but that only has 2 sizes

Edit, apparently using a tap to fix threads is improper so I should be less demanding of my tools when Im using them incorrectly LOL

It's unbelievable how crappy the Harbor Freight tap and die sets were/are. They were still peddling the same garbage as recently as 2.5 years ago. You could visibly see f#cked up threads and some kind of casting flash all in them. They literally were not even fit to cut threads in plastic.

This was also not an isolated case. A coworker bought a set of SAE and a set of Metric, probably 5 or 6 years ago. I made fun of him for buying them and his response was "well they were cheap and I didn't have any tap and die sets". Then a couple years ago, we were working down in Elkton VA and I needed a metric tap and die set for some equipment I was working on. I sent a coworker (not the same one) to the stores, with the specific instructions of DO NOT buy a Harbor Freight set under ANY condition. What did he do? He came back with a f#cking pos Harbor Freight tap and die set. He said that he couldn't find them anywhere else and that "they are better than nothing". Sound familiar? Lol. Except he was in fact wrong, they were NOT better than nothing. At least with nothing, you didn't waste 15 bucks. So the next day, we went to the other hardware store in Harrisonburg and got an Irwin metric tap and die set. Because you know, he had "looked everywhere and nobody had them except Harbor Freight". And they were at the first place I drove to. Still frustrates me to this day, lol.

Now, those cheap sets didn't go up to 3/4", so the supplier for the larger set must produce a much better product, like the pipe thread taps and dies they sell.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
It's unbelievable how crappy the Harbor Freight tap and die sets were/are. They were still peddling the same garbage as recently as 2.5 years ago. You could visibly see f#cked up threads and some kind of casting flash all in them. They literally were not even fit to cut threads in plastic.

This was also not an isolated case. A coworker bought a set of SAE and a set of Metric, probably 5 or 6 years ago. I made fun of him for buying them and his response was "well they were cheap and I didn't have any tap and die sets". Then a couple years ago, we were working down in Elkton VA and I needed a metric tap and die set for some equipment I was working on. I sent a coworker (not the same one) to the stores, with the specific instructions of DO NOT buy a Harbor Freight set under ANY condition. What did he do? He came back with a f#cking pos Harbor Freight tap and die set. He said that he couldn't find them anywhere else and that "they are better than nothing". Sound familiar? Lol. Except he was in fact wrong, they were NOT better than nothing. At least with nothing, you didn't waste 15 bucks. So the next day, we went to the other hardware store in Harrisonburg and got an Irwin metric tap and die set. Because you know, he had "looked everywhere and nobody had them except Harbor Freight". And they were at the first place I drove to. Still frustrates me to this day, lol.

Now, those cheap sets didn't go up to 3/4", so the supplier for the larger set must produce a much better product, like the pipe thread taps and dies they sell.
Yesir I made the same mistake buying those. I just needed to chase the threads in the hedder bolt holes to clean them up. Nope! Won't even do that. Trash! Almost broke one about two turns in. Lol

Daron58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
250 I6
I bought an attachment for my sawzall that holds a rattle can of spray paint, man this thing is the sh!! No more shaking and shaking, I use quite a bit of ceramic-kote for refinishing firearms,the can has a tab you press to add the hardening and used to have to shake for a while, no more got from Amaz!! Takes less than a minute.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I have the titanium nitride coated tap and die sets, and of the sizes I’ve used so far, they seem accurately machined. I could be lucky or I could be blind…

I’ve mostly used 5/16-1/2” coarse.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
I have a 2017 Colorado that I had to drain and fill the Auto transmission on. These have NO drain plug and NO dipstick. I removed the pan(loosened the exhaust crossover) and got the pan down , cleaned it all up , replaced the filter and the cut a hole and welded an O2 bung in and pit it all back together. FINE, then ya gotta get the fluid in it!! Had a harbor fright pump.....that didn't work well, so sat down and was trying to figure out how to get 6.4 quarts of atf in the damn thing. Found an empty, clean windshield washer container(1 gallon) drilled the cap and used some left over fittings to provide a sealed transfer point. A hose from the fitting to the bottom of the container, a hose form the fitting at top of the container into the trans "fill" hole and then a small hole drilled toward the top of the container. This small hole allowed me to use my small air blow gun to charge the container and force the fluid to flow into the transmission. You have to get a feel for the amount of pressure to place on your new "tool" so you don't have a catastrophe. Finding that pressure and you can watch the fluid exit the container and then refill and add the remaining amount of fluid. Not rocket science, if I could figure it out!!!! Gonna try to add some pics, but we got a new computer and I am NOT very good with new sh!t!!!!

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I have a 2017 Colorado that I had to drain and fill the Auto transmission on. These have NO drain plug and NO dipstick. I removed the pan(loosened the exhaust crossover) and got the pan down , cleaned it all up , replaced the filter and the cut a hole and welded an O2 bung in and pit it all back together. FINE, then ya gotta get the fluid in it!! Had a harbor fright pump.....that didn't work well, so sat down and was trying to figure out how to get 6.4 quarts of atf in the damn thing. Found an empty, clean windshield washer container(1 gallon) drilled the cap and used some left over fittings to provide a sealed transfer point. A hose from the fitting to the bottom of the container, a hose form the fitting at top of the container into the trans "fill" hole and then a small hole drilled toward the top of the container. This small hole allowed me to use my small air blow gun to charge the container and force the fluid to flow into the transmission. You have to get a feel for the amount of pressure to place on your new "tool" so you don't have a catastrophe. Finding that pressure and you can watch the fluid exit the container and then refill and add the remaining amount of fluid. Not rocket science, if I could figure it out!!!! Gonna try to add some pics, but we got a new computer and I am NOT very good with new sh!t!!!!
You can put the fluid in a garden sprayer take the tip off the wand ,pump it up,now you have pressurized fluid. I used to fill diffs like this at the dealer,when they were giving us bottles of fluid and a hose that never stayed on to fill diffs.

Last edited:

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
^^^^^Gotcha, I just used what I had......My Bride doesn't like me messing with her gardening stuff....she has numerous sprayers that I could commandeer, but at WHAT price?????

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I bought an attachment for my sawzall that holds a rattle can of spray paint, man this thing is the sh!! No more shaking and shaking, I use quite a bit of ceramic-kote for refinishing firearms,the can has a tab you press to add the hardening and used to have to shake for a while, no more got from Amaz!! Takes less than a minute.
THANK YOU FOR SHOWING ME THIS. I WILL BUY ONE FOR MY HACKZALL (12v one handed unit) or my old NiCd 18v sawzall. I needed this!

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
I made one out of pvc and a pvc pipe (removable) stopper/plug. Works awesome.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Built one of these setups - some have probably seen it online. FWIW...any vids you see on this setup, pay no attention to their measurements as your shop vac is probably different.

Idea is the dust 'cyclone' swirls the debris around, with air being light - it passes on while the particles drop into the bucket. When you're done, the bucket is full and the shop vac (and its filter) are untouched. Like a catch can for dirt. I tried it with drywall dust and it was UFB. Not a spec in the vac. I picked up an Eastwood dustless sander to pair with it - that works amazing but how they advertise it, it all goes into the shop vac....and plugs/destroys the ($30) filter in 1-2 uses. Really interested in how this works with the cyclone.

You must be registered for see images attach

mxer147

83 K20, 350 vortec, 465, 208, 14/10, 4.10, 33s
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
I’ve been wearing a cyclone mask while da sanding……N95

Latest posts