Windshield Wiper Intermittent Function

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bbfishey

Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
My '87 R10 has a column stalk with cruise, wipers and turn signal. The wiper functions include an intermittent setting before reaching the low setting.

The problem is that it doesn't work. The low and high function just fine.

So what could be the issue here?

Thanks!

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240917_131601_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20240917_131601_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 10

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Unfortunately that's super common and as far as I was last aware, the intermittent/delay module is not available/not repopped. My '85 only works on low/high, I haven't had any intermittent in years

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, k30, k20, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350, 350
It could be any part of the system. I replaced everything in that system and you can fix one thing but not all of them at once usually. Mine is working properly on all settings but something in the old switch itself is causing the wipers to keep going even while off, seems to be at like some kind of half power too. They move slower when doing that compared to normal operation.

Modules for the 80's units were available when I looked for one.

In short. It could be anything in that system. The module, the motor, the switch, or even wiring.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
It could be any part of the system. I replaced everything in that system and you can fix one thing but not all of them at once usually. Mine is working properly on all settings but something in the old switch itself is causing the wipers to keep going even while off, seems to be at like some kind of half power too. They move slower when doing that compared to normal operation.

that sounds like could be the switch or maybe the park switch in the motor is going bad or maybe a short to ground in the wiring....

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, k30, k20, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350, 350
that sounds like could be the switch or maybe the park switch in the motor is going bad or maybe a short to ground in the wiring....
New motor and all wiring is good. It works perfectly fine. Other than that staying on sometimes. I can "fix" that by twisting the switch into the perfect spot, then it quits and parks properly. Until I touch the stalk.

Just haven't replaced the switch yet.

Jgonick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Had same problem. Thought mine was a bad module- turned out being the switch.

The module does tend to go bad- usually the heat sink paste on the thyristor dries out and then it overheats and burns out.

Last edited:

Robert Bare

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Freking int. wipers,lol! Never really saw much problems with customers, BUT, generally, older vehicles never came to the dealerships or quality(expensive) shops I worked at. So, much of my experience is from my own K20, which is a dedicated plow truck, sits all summer up here, chained up, never goes to town. Instead of really long different stories, will just give experiences, thoughts and what I have found over the years-
The ground wire/system for the wiper motor. It was down on the left kick panel(well above a bit) inside the truck. Known for bad connections. Will cause all the problems listed. Location may be different in the 80's??
Dirty rheostat in the switch for intermittent. New switches are cheap.
Yes, park switches do wear out, can be replaced without replacing the motor.
Motors get weak, especially as the brushes wear down, lose tension.
Poor quality rebuilt motors. Had this happen to me.
Now 2 of the most important--
Wiper linkage. 2 things happen, the bushings bet worn out. The grease gets old/hard. If you suspect either, pull off the arms, see if the shafts wobble. Even if they do not, now unhook the motor, see if it feels like too much resistance, even if bushings are good. Push against a wiper transmission shaft while testing, see if it "drags". Now this is an easy fix, for most, even if linkage is shot, but your truck is occasional use--2 things replace, as replacements are available, OR, do As I have done, along with many others-pull linkage, drill a small hole in each pivot, about in the middle. Use a needle point on your grease gun, pump until all the old,hard grease comes out, and clean comes out. Over the years many have reported even on a "good" wiper system this speeds up the wipers a lot. Yes, I can verify this. Yes, the dragging/resistance can cause all the above problems, including burning out the module, or switch.
Now something a bit different--low voltage. Yes, it also can cause the problems listed, it "whigs out" the module. I still experience this on my plow truck-with greased linkage, newer motor, new switch, 2 known good modules, 105A alternator, when I am plowing, headlights, heater,wipers on, and lifting/angling plow a lot in a short period of time. BUT, I run a very heavy plow, draws lots of amps. Very annoying, but is nothing else I can do short of a bigger alternator. Yes, this is with 2 batteries,lol. The neighbors K's I have just put regular wiper switches in, took out the INT., as they were tired of it,lol.
Hope this can help some.

Robert Bare

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Ooooooo *click, save*
lol, there are other options, if you are handy- there is a kit for the older trucks, forget who makes it but LMC and the others sell it, but, you have to swap out your switch to a standard 2 speed switch.
There also is a lucas relay you can wire in, that uses standard 2 speed switch. I believe both these use a logic circuit, and you have to program the intermittent when starting the truck, you do it by turning it on and off a certain way?
then there is this- older truck owners might be interested-
You must be registered for see images attach

They were factory for Peterbilts, busses, construction equipment for many years. they only work with permanent magnet 2 speed motors. Used to be very expensive($380) but now are made aftermarket, and can be had for $30.Yes, they have the delay built in.

YakkoWarner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wolf
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
lol, there are other options, if you are handy- there is a kit for the older trucks, forget who makes it but LMC and the others sell it, but, you have to swap out your switch to a standard 2 speed switch.
There also is a lucas relay you can wire in, that uses standard 2 speed switch. I believe both these use a logic circuit, and you have to program the intermittent when starting the truck, you do it by turning it on and off a certain way?
then there is this- older truck owners might be interested-
You must be registered for see images attach

They were factory for Peterbilts, busses, construction equipment for many years. they only work with permanent magnet 2 speed motors. Used to be very expensive($380) but now are made aftermarket, and can be had for $30.Yes, they have the delay built in.

So how much oil does the relay leak out on a weekly basis? Seriously, Lucas stuff gets a bad rap when in reality they made decent stuff, but the cars it was installed into had no rust prevention and the grounds would corrode, causing all sorts of stuff to go weird that was not a defect in the Lucas components.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brssymrsns01