Where are you tapping into for ACC power?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dadbodsquarebod

Reaction score
First Name
c
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Save my sanity here.

I am wiring up an aftermarket stereo to be basically self-contained behind the drivers seat. I dont want to remove any of the original stereo or speakers (long story) and have mostly wired everything, but I am having a devil of a time getting the switched ACC wire right.

The head unit has three wires:
Yellow: Constant - I wired this through the FW to the battery directly
Black: Ground - wired to ground
Red: ACC - The troublemaker

I tapped into an open spot on the fuse panel marked ACC which turned out to be a constant for an auxiliary battery (who named that?!). And also the hot side on the original fuse location marked *Radio*. Both locations have the same issue: The new stereo will turn on and off with the power button only, the ignition makes no difference in whether it turns on or off so I believe I am grabbing another constant 12v (?).

Where is everyone getting their switched ACC power from?

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
There are 4 power taps on the left side of the fuse box that are hot in acc and run, they are protected by the GAUGES fuse. There are a couple fuse taps labeled BAT that are powered at all times, they are protected by the courtesy lamp fuse or circuit breaker if door lock equipped.

If the acc taps are hot at all times then either someone has screwed around with wiring, or the ignition switch is defective.

Get a test light. It should be pretty easy to find taps that do what you need.

dadbodsquarebod

Reaction score
First Name
c
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
There are 4 power taps on the left side of the fuse box that are hot in acc and run, they are protected by the GAUGES fuse. There are a couple fuse taps labeled BAT that are powered at all times, they are protected by the courtesy lamp fuse or circuit breaker if door lock equipped.

If the acc taps are hot at all times then either someone has screwed around with wiring, or the ignition switch is defective.

Get a test light. It should be pretty easy to find taps that do what you need.
Perfect. Thank you. I’m not sure how I missed the clearly labeled IGN points on the left but I tapped into one and that did the trick. I knew I was missing something semi-obvious. Sincere thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_3641.jpeg
    IMG_3641.jpeg
    192.7 KB · Views: 30

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zcostilla