What locker shall I go for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
First Name
Andreas
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Given my use of the truck, daily driving, and work on the farm, the only off-road is out in the field with hay to the animals. With 2 WD just some slippery surfaces and mild leaning ground can cause trouble when the box is empty. So now I'm leaning towards an Eaton TrueTrac. Semmes to be robust design, maintains free, automatic function, no extra air- or electrical installation and the truck still behaves as with an open differential on the road and while going around in the city. I am happy to hear comments on this idea.
Still confused but on a higher level

mattsk8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Given my use of the truck, daily driving, and work on the farm, the only off-road is out in the field with hay to the animals. With 2 WD just some slippery surfaces and mild leaning ground can cause trouble when the box is empty. So now I'm leaning towards an Eaton TrueTrac. Semmes to be robust design, maintains free, automatic function, no extra air- or electrical installation and the truck still behaves as with an open differential on the road and while going around in the city. I am happy to hear comments on this idea.
Still confused but on a higher level
That's the route I would go if I were you.

Just wanted to add this... Be realistic about it, adding any type of locker isn't going to make your truck perform like a 4x4. IMO they help a little, but not a lot.

Reaction score
First Name
Andreas
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Yes, I'm clear over that, but a 2WD truck, an empty box and a heavy engine over the front wheels very easily get stuck on slippery ground, and I'm pretty sure (hope) that an LSD differential will make a significant difference, even not at all as if it were a 4WD.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I went with the Eaton 912A556 Detroit Truetrac 8.5" 28 Spline Differential with 10 Bolt for my '85 K5, and I also replaced the ring and pinion to match the front axle. IIRC they are 3.08:1.

You must be registered for see images attach

I like the taller gears 'cause if I need low-grunt, I've always got Low Range.

We burn about 8 cord of wood every year and I am still in "Hobby Mode" when I drive out to the woods and cut trees down.

The K5 can tow 3 cords, but I like to not haul that much, so I tend to limit myself to 2 1/2 cords instead. Wood is heavy and I went over the scales at 11,300lbs, K5, the wood, trailer, 3/4 tank of gas, and three guys.

There's always snow when cutting because I feel it's a lot harder to set the woods on fire if the forest is covered in snow. We still carry a couple of CO2 extinguishers and a large drum of water - 30 gallons --- more weight.

Many times I have to crawl over stumps and rocks and cut my own roads to get to the trees I want -- and the Eaton works its butt off, but it always works well.

Off tree-cutting season - is trout season, and I like to use the K5 to get to places where I cannot walk (100% DAV) but I can walk a bit.

Running a chainsaw is easy for me as my arms are still good --- the back is starting to take the "hobby" out of woodcutting, and I may redesignate cutting firewood as a "Spectator Sport" sooner rather than later.

The Eaton can work hard --- doesn't make any noise and drives very peacefully on the street.

Mud is no problem. Ice is not a problem other than what the tires can handle ---

I also use tires with this logo ...

You must be registered for see images attach

HTH.

///
I don't know about your choice of locker but you've made me very jealous of your lifestyle. 40 years in the Arizona desert has left me feeling like Moses.

Reaction score
First Name
Andreas
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
My lifestyle? In the countryside, feeding up lambs with my family, and spending leisure time in the garage with my Silverado and Impala 1963. Friday nights with friends at the local bar. Very simple and I like it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Doolin