What locker shall I go for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
First Name
Andreas
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Many thanks to you both (Craig and Molus). I'm getting closer and closer to making up my mind. A report will follow.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

Rumbledawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 crewcab
Engine Size
Detroit for the win...
in a fullsize truck that weighs a couple or more tons and twenty feet long there not as knarly as people believe them to be, in a jeep, toyota or s-10, yes they can be a handful in the snow.
been running my Detroit for over twenty yrs and ya, every year where i live we get a foot or two of snow.
just don't be punching the throttle at every light or try to canyon carve with them when there's snow and you'll be fine. the only time my crewcab spins in a circle in the snow is when i'm jerking around in an empty parking lot...
i also run a Tru-Trac in my front D60

Reaction score
First Name
Andreas
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Im not yet at all clear about what the best choice for me is, but I am leaning toward the Eaton Mlocker. As I understand it it's identical to what was offered by GM originally (RPO G80) and that LSD product provides what is needed for a daily used all originally equipped diesel truck on the farm. But as I said. Not at all clear yet, so I am happy to any additional advice from you guys

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
Brothers Eaton locker ate itself in his 1966 Plymouth with 498 440 stroker also $$$$$$

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
What I hope to reach with a locker is not to get stuck standing spinning on nearly flat ground - which easily can happen when it's slippery out in the fields during autumn/winter when the bed is empty and there is very little weight on the rear wheels. I'm a small farmer and the truck is my workhorse, all seasons.
Old school gettin ‘er done like pops used to in a 2wd!
In your case and your intended use, you just want both wheels pulling at all times. Period.
You’re not “punching the throttle” on snow and ice (I’d assume being from Sweden you know how to drive in snow). You have very little power on tap so it’s not spinning from 10 mph to 80 mph at the tap of the throttle. You’re not “canyon carving” in the rain, or probably at all.
Context got lost in some of the replies. You are simply after a full 2wd and not 1wd!
Assuming it goes on pavement and drives to town, you really do want something that is not a full mud buggy Lincoln locker. But aside from that it’s traction you’re after. And budget is presumably a concern if you’re rocking that truck as a work rig.
Not an expert on lockers just providing some input hopefully relevant to your use.

WRW86

Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
It sounds like you've already eliminated the Detroit Locker from your options and are on the right track.

Regarding the Detroit, I think it was/is a quick install on the 14bolt 10.5" full floater, BUT, for the 14bolt 9.5" semi-floater with a factory G80 locker, you would need to get an open carrier for the install.

Rumbledawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 crewcab
Engine Size
Old school gettin ‘er done like pops used to in a 2wd!
In your case and your intended use, you just want both wheels pulling at all times. Period.
You’re not “punching the throttle” on snow and ice (I’d assume being from Sweden you know how to drive in snow). You have very little power on tap so it’s not spinning from 10 mph to 80 mph at the tap of the throttle. You’re not “canyon carving” in the rain, or probably at all.
Context got lost in some of the replies. You are simply after a full 2wd and not 1wd!
Assuming it goes on pavement and drives to town, you really do want something that is not a full mud buggy Lincoln locker. But aside from that it’s traction you’re after. And budget is presumably a concern if you’re rocking that truck as a work rig.
Not an expert on lockers just providing some input hopefully relevant to your use.
didn't lose context Grit Dog.
everyone thinks a Detroit is knarly as heck on the street, in a big heavy truck there not bad at all, i never notice mine unless i do a hard 90 with excessive throttle..
punching the throttle and canyon carving is exaggerating what you would have to do to get a Detroit to be a handful in the snow

It sounds like you've already eliminated the Detroit Locker from your options and are on the right track.

Regarding the Detroit, I think it was/is a quick install on the 14bolt 10.5" full floater, BUT, for the 14bolt 9.5" semi-floater with a factory G80 locker, you would need to get an open carrier for the install.
you will need an open carrier for the ff as well, but it is still literally a couple hr drop in job. maintenance free and by far the strongest locker you can get.
simple, cheap, forever reliable-there's a reason Detroits have been the go to locker for over 60 yrs

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
everyone thinks a Detroit is knarly as heck on the street, in a big heavy truck there not bad at all, i never notice mine unless i do a hard 90 with excessive throttle..
punching the throttle and canyon carving is exaggerating what you would have to do to get a Detroit to be a handful in the snow

you will need an open carrier for the ff as well, but it is still literally a couple hr drop in job. maintenance free and by far the strongest locker you can get.
simple, cheap, forever reliable-there's a reason Detroits have been the go to locker for over 60 yrs
That was my point. You are one of the folks who didn’t lose the context. Cheers!

Zelph

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
350 TBI
Ime a Detroit is “gnarly” on ice. You can slowly accelerate and when that Detroit lock back in, the ass end wants to pass the front end.
When stuck in snow and applying throttle and the ass end starts walking sideways is not fun when on a narrow mountain pass with a steep drop off. But hey, I live at 7,000 feet in elevation and not flat land.

Rumbledawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 crewcab
Engine Size
Ime a Detroit is “gnarly” on ice. You can slowly accelerate and when that Detroit lock back in, the ass end wants to pass the front end.
When stuck in snow and applying throttle and the ass end starts walking sideways is not fun when on a narrow mountain pass with a steep drop off. But hey, I live at 7,000 feet in elevation and not flat land.
a Detroit locker should be called a Detroit unlocker, cause it's always locked until you turn a corner

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

K20 longbed. I absolutely hated the Detroit on pavement so much that I pulled it and gave it away. Was annoying with the auto trans, unlivable after the manual swap.

Zelph

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
350 TBI
a Detroit locker should be called a Detroit unlocker, cause it's always locked until you turn a corner
The Detroit unlocks when the driveshaft stops putting power into it.
Turn a corner while pressing the throttle and it stays locked.
Driving in a straight line and coasting/power/coasting - say as if in traffic. That re engaging of the locker function is what I a referencing.

Robert Bare

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Being a 2wd a factory gov-loc or eaton M would be your best choice for true traction.
If was 4x4, would still be best choice over a full time,UNLESS you do a lot of off roading.
Yes, a full time locker in a 2wd can be scary for some, even dangerous.
For road traction, a thorsen or other planetary gear is very good.
Have run lockers many years, currently 3, 2 full time lunchbox and a Detroit in camper truck. Yes, I live in snow country, up in the mountains. Haven't owned a 2wd for decades,lol.

59840Surfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
350 Stroker to 383 with a 400 crank, Crane Cam, Q-Jet, single 3.5" exhaust..
I went with the Eaton 912A556 Detroit Truetrac 8.5" 28 Spline Differential with 10 Bolt for my '85 K5, and I also replaced the ring and pinion to match the front axle. IIRC they are 3.08:1.

You must be registered for see images attach

I like the taller gears 'cause if I need low-grunt, I've always got Low Range.

We burn about 8 cord of wood every year and I am still in "Hobby Mode" when I drive out to the woods and cut trees down.

The K5 can tow 3 cords, but I like to not haul that much, so I tend to limit myself to 2 1/2 cords instead. Wood is heavy and I went over the scales at 11,300lbs, K5, the wood, trailer, 3/4 tank of gas, and three guys.

There's always snow when cutting because I feel it's a lot harder to set the woods on fire if the forest is covered in snow. We still carry a couple of CO2 extinguishers and a large drum of water - 30 gallons --- more weight.

Many times I have to crawl over stumps and rocks and cut my own roads to get to the trees I want -- and the Eaton works its butt off, but it always works well.

Off tree-cutting season - is trout season, and I like to use the K5 to get to places where I cannot walk (100% DAV) but I can walk a bit.

Running a chainsaw is easy for me as my arms are still good --- the back is starting to take the "hobby" out of woodcutting, and I may redesignate cutting firewood as a "Spectator Sport" sooner rather than later.

The Eaton can work hard --- doesn't make any noise and drives very peacefully on the street.

Mud is no problem. Ice is not a problem other than what the tires can handle ---

I also use tires with this logo ...

You must be registered for see images attach

HTH.

///

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
10ptBUck