What locker shall I go for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
First Name
Andreas
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I drive a C20 1983 Silverado, 6.2 Diesel, 2WD TH700r4, semi-float 14 bolt 9.5 rear 4.10:1. I would like to rebuild the rear axle with the same ratio but with a locker. Can anyone who knows about lockers for this axle give me advice on what type and brand I should go for? All tips are very appreciated.
All the best from Sweden

tman

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Hi , I drive a 74 GMC 4X4 and I installed a LA locker made by power Trax and off-road it's great.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
If a Detroit Locker is available, I'd go that route. Simple, strong, works incredibly well and lasts practically forever. Downside is that they can be a bit aggressive on a short wheel base as they wind up if you make a bunch of tight turns on street.

Zelph

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
350 TBI
I would look to a limited slip/posi unit over a locker.

That diesel engine is not a tire shredder and being in Sweden, ice and a locker can make some awkward situations.

A Detroit trutrac will lock upon wheel spin but act open for all other driving.

Reaction score
First Name
Andreas
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Wow, this Forum is just super. So much knowledge in one place. Great!
Were these trucks available with a locker as an option once they were ordered? If so, what type? It seems to be a different technology. Do the three mentioned above—Detroit Locker, Detroit Tru Trac, and LA Locker—all work with the same principle technology?

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Were these trucks available with a locker as an option once they were ordered? If so, what type? It seems to be a different technology. Do the three mentioned above—Detroit Locker, Detroit Tru Trac, and LA Locker—all work with the same principle technology?

What do you intend to do with the truck, and what are you expecting to gain from the locking differential?

There are lots of options out there, also some give and take from one style locker to another.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Originally these trucks could be had with the g80 “locker”.

I agree that a Detroit can be interesting on ice. I’d probably get an LSD for most street applications where maximum durability is not required.

I wasn’t a huge fan of my Detroit locker’s on road mannerisms.

I’m not sure if ARB makes an air locker for that differential, but I really like selectable lockers. Just make sure they get properly installed so nothing gets pinched or leaks.

Reaction score
First Name
Andreas
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
What I hope to reach with a locker is not to get stuck standing spinning on nearly flat ground - which easily can happen when it's slippery out in the fields during autumn/winter when the bed is empty and there is very little weight on the rear wheels. I'm a small farmer and the truck is my workhorse, all seasons.

Reaction score
First Name
Andreas
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Dream should be a locker I decide when to engage. Is that possible?

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Yes, it’s called a selectable locker. The can be electronic, pneumatic such or cable actuated.

You’ll need to check what’s available for your specific differential though.

Zelph

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
350 TBI
The only selectable locker for your differential is an ARB part RD197
You’ll also need to purchase an air compressor to run it.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
What I hope to reach with a locker is not to get stuck standing spinning on nearly flat ground - which easily can happen when it's slippery out in the fields during autumn/winter when the bed is empty and there is very little weight on the rear wheels. I'm a small farmer and the truck is my workhorse, all seasons.
If primarily being used on the farm a Detroit may be a good choice
Dream should be a locker I decide when to engage. Is that possible?

The only selectable locker for your differential is an ARB part RD197
You’ll also need to purchase an air compressor to run it.
Really? I didn’t search for any but I’d bet there are numerous selectable lockers for the 14 bolt, they are widely popular in the rock crawling crowd. I’d assume there is tons of aftermarket support in this area.

That said ARB is a great locker, I’m also a fan of the Eaton “E” lockers, my jeep came with Spicer’s E lockers front and rear and they have held up really well with no issues

Reaction score
First Name
Andreas
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
There seem to be a number of options. I have to gather the options and compare them. Once I'm done, I'll come back with my thoughts. Thanks a lot for everybody's input so far. It's beneficial to be a part of this community.

mattsk8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I think a Detroit locker can cause as many problems in snow and ice as it solves. I would look at a TruTrac, but another option is putting chains on your back tires. Not sure what you're getting stuck more in, snow or mud. Unfortunately for snow it's tough to beat 4wd, I've never been glad I had a posi rear diff when I was driving in snow.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Doolin