What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
@Redfish Andrew... BTW, was the 79 Trans AM your ex brother in laws by chance?
Yes sir. And I should not have said "recently", it was almost exactly one year ago. I had the car, getting it ready for Cruisin the Coast and suddenly I had anti-freeze pooling on my concrete.

A couple shots of The Trans Am for this year's Cruisin the Coast:

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
All of your posts make me either feel thankful that I don’t have any symptoms from my steering column yet, or fearful for when it does.
The real reason any of this got going, was that at some point before I rescued this truck from the tweakers, a later model steering column was swapped in. 84ish is my guess, it even had tilt and cruise (delay wipers on the stalk too) but it quit starting the truck and was being stupid. So, my bil has these columns hanging out and says go make something that will work. I ended up taking the period correct column and swapping out the period correct cruise stalk into it and servicing the lower bearing so it was lubed and riding on the plastic doohickey correctly. The cruise wiring on the stalk was cut damaged at the turn signal stalk pivot area, so I (hopefully) cut out the bad parts and substituted the only thing I had laying around to rewire it. 8 conductor Telcom wire, much like you have between the land line phone and the wall. I guess I'll see in a year or so if the cruise works properly.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
The real reason any of this got going, was that at some point before I rescued this truck from the tweakers, a later model steering column was swapped in. 84ish is my guess, it even had tilt and cruise (delay wipers on the stalk too) but it quit starting the truck and was being stupid. So, my bil has these columns hanging out and says go make something that will work. I ended up taking the period correct column and swapping out the period correct cruise stalk into it and servicing the lower bearing so it was lubed and riding on the plastic doohickey correctly. The cruise wiring on the stalk was cut damaged at the turn signal stalk pivot area, so I (hopefully) cut out the bad parts and substituted the only thing I had laying around to rewire it. 8 conductor Telcom wire, much like you have between the land line phone and the wall. I guess I'll see in a year or so if the cruise works properly.
If it works it works! I remember my dad doing somersaults and backflips to put a tilt column in his non-tilt ‘74 GMC. As I recall, he got a hot tip that a shop manual from a 70s Buick was the trick to figure it out. Not sure why that was but I think there was some crossover between GMC and Buick, but that’s just what I remember him telling me, I was about 11 years old.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMOTT