What could this random tube attached to the exhaust be?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris64

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Surely someone can explain this mystery tube to me. It's hose clamped to the exhaust for some reason. It's not drilled out or anything if you look down the tube. It's just clamped to it and barely hanging on. Chesterton's-random-exhaust-tube. It's better to figure out why it's there before removing :)

Excuse the rust. I'm working on it.
You must be registered for see images attach

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
It almost looks like a poorly fabricated heat riser. The truck originally had a heat riser that ran from the exhaust manifold straight up to the neck of the air intake duct of the air cleaner. Maybe the Previous Owner was trying to recreate that?

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
99% sure someone fabbed up a connection for a carburetor heat riser for an OE air cleaner like was present on original OE exhaust manifolds.

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
I find it ingenious. I have to fab up something similar when the headers go on. Next spring...

Chris64

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
It almost looks like a poorly fabricated heat riser. The truck originally had a heat riser that ran from the exhaust manifold straight up to the neck of the air intake duct of the air cleaner. Maybe the Previous Owner was trying to recreate that?
What function did this serve? Should I complete this?

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
On the stock air cleaner housing there is a diverter valve that has some of that metallic flex tubing attached that goes onto that piece of pipe. When it's cold, vacuum is applied to position that valve, allowing heated air to go into the carb and when operating temp is reached, that valve will retract to allow "cold" air to the carb.

I could have the vacuum application backwards, but that's how it works and why.

Being in San Diego, you may never need it, but go anywhere cooler, it will help the cold driveability. I'd put it back to operational.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noetoy13