Transmission fail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

agustaf

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
While driving the other day, truck started losing power to the drive train like the transmission was slipping. Then suddenly died. Pulled to the side of the road. Was able to restart but when shifting into drive felt no response from transmission and engine would just rev with the gear shift in drive. Under the truck is a puddle of what turned out to be engine coolant. There is engine coolant on top of the engine block and after removing goose neck and temp regulator coolant overflowed out of the engine block. Is this a result of a failed water pump?

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
First thing to check is the trans fluid level. Trans fluid is cooled by the radiator. If the trans oil cooler in the radiator leaks, the trans will pump oil into the radiator causing it to be over full. Then trans fluid and engine coolant will push out of the radiator.

When ever you have a trans issue, the first thing to check is the trans fluid level.

agustaf

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Didn’t hear any kind of mechanical noise when I lost power either.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, k30, k20, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350, 350
The loss of power and shutting off could have been from the distributor getting wet.

Did it run fine? Is it still running fine? No stumbles?

The transmission fluid and coolant look like they're supposed to? Engine oil looks fine?

agustaf

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Started up and ran fine after I pulled over. Just couldn’t shift into gear. Haven’t tried starting since I got it towed back home. After I checked the trans fluid and found it full, I took off the radiator cap and then noticed some pooled coolant on top of the engine block. I expect coolant sprayed out from the pressure release under the cap. Then took the hose off of the goose neck and the goose neck had coolant pooled inside. Took that off to check the temp regulator. When I took that out cooled flowed out of the engine block like it was under pressure. Coolant is still pooled up to the rim of the temp sensor like it was not circulating which caused an overheat?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zcostilla