tranny mount/crossmember- urgent help needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

plugugly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Truck Year
Truck Model
blazer
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
the kids 87 k5 continues to kick us in the nuts. Suddenly he couldnt shift to park. immediately I thought it was adjusting the 700r4.

nope. The damn bolts on the drivers side of the crossmember came off, and dropped that side off the frame. Its torn the trans mount as well.

Im guessing I need some spacers in there? they are gone , and there are spacers on the passenger side. Does anyone know if there are spacers on both sides of this mount? are the spacers all the same length?

Its a 6.2 to 700r4

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
The spacers are on both sides and all of the hardware is the same size.

Be sure the replacement spacers go on top of the frame like the remaining ones are (or should be).

plugugly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Truck Year
Truck Model
blazer
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
spacers seem to go between crossmember and frame, not on top of the frame?

also, anyone know where to get them so I dont have to make them?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
spacers seem to go between crossmember and frame, not on top of the frame?

also, anyone know where to get them so I dont have to make them?

They don't go between the crossmember and frame, that's just where people often put them when they lift the truck. As an attempt to help driveline angles.

Do have an Ace Hardware? Many locations tend to stock heavy wall steel spacers in the nuts/bolts isle.

plugugly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Truck Year
Truck Model
blazer
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
unfortunately, the only ace nearby is pretty limited. Im looking through mcmaster now.

why would they put spacers on top of the frame? i dont doubt you, just seems kind silly design. I understand dropping it for a lift and driveline angles. Is it necessary with a 4" lift?

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, k30, k20, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350, 350
unfortunately, the only ace nearby is pretty limited. Im looking through mcmaster now.

why would they put spacers on top of the frame? i dont doubt you, just seems kind silly design. I understand dropping it for a lift and driveline angles. Is it necessary with a 4" lift?
It's for bolt stretch for clamping force.

I would never recommend spacers between the crossmember and frame. At least not the factory spacers, you're going from a lot of surface area contact to almost nothing. I bet that's why you have sheared bolts and a dangling trans.

Spacers aren't needed between crossmember and frame. Maybe on a blazer with a 6 inch lift. Definitely not needed on a 4 inch lift long wheelbase. The bolt spacers are necessary in my opinion. GM wouldn't have spent that money or time if they didn't need to.

plugugly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Truck Year
Truck Model
blazer
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
Bolts didnt shear, the nuts came off. I wouldnt put a k5 in the long wheelbase category.

ill have to check driveline angles without the spacers. If needed Ill just make a spacer from some square tube.

Thanks for the info. Still having a hard time understanding the point of the spacers though......

EDIT:
are there different height tranny mounts? is the standard 2638 the right one?

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Bolts didnt shear, the nuts came off. I wouldnt put a k5 in the long wheelbase category.

ill have to check driveline angles without the spacers. If needed Ill just make a spacer from some square tube.

Thanks for the info. Still having a hard time understanding the point of the spacers though......

EDIT:
are there different height tranny mounts? is the standard 2638 the right one?

The spacers are needed for proper bolt stretch when tightened down. A really short bolt has very little room for stretch, making it more likely to break when loaded (like when the chassis flexes).

There's two different styles of mounts used. The '85-up style is a single unit and just one height.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
If you not comfortable with the spacers on the crossmember don’t look at the steering box bolts. lol

Also, keep in mind that when spacing the tcase down to improve the rear driveshaft angle, you are making the front driveshaft angle worse.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I didn't say a k5 was long wheelbase? I also said exactly what the spacers are for?

Also no offense but how would you know if the nuts fell off or the bolts sheared?

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I didn't say a k5 was long wheelbase? I also said exactly what the spacers are for?

Also no offense but how would you know if the nuts fell off or the bolts sheared?

I'd guess that the nuts were on the bottom, then the bolts were left dangling in the frame. I've actually seen that before.

Whether broken or simply loosened, the spacers being gone or used between the frame and crossmember could have caused that.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I don't know, they gave the infamous 305.
It's fine in its own regards. Just probably not for a full size truck. They were only offering what the people were buying :rofl: Not so strange when you could get a v6 in the later trucks...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brantley