Timing Tab Installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

projectmidnight74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
V8
So, I have this project thats coming to an end. For my creature comforts, and for my knowledge needs, its missing the timing tab. They forgot to install it for some reason but swear the trucks in time. I dont doubt its close, but in order to tune it, it needs SOMETHING on there. With a v belt set up, am I going to remove the ENTIRE setup and all the accessories to install this thing.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, k30, k20, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Nope just loosen the power steering pump and you can sneak in there. I just put one on my new shitbox. You just need to make sure you have the balancer and timing tab matched. There were two different timing tab locations. Two balancers. And different diameter balancers as well.

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
Many after market timing tabs are to high and cover the marks on the balancer. Get a old one and rebuild or a nos. The adjustable billet ones are good but sometimes they are to thick and rub on the balancer which leads to grinding off material on a new nice part. Ask me how I know....

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
If you just want to verify timing,a timing tab isn't even necessary. Verify tdc,make 2 reference marks you can see,and check. Also timing at idle isn't near as important as total. Which depending on heads,etc is going to be best somewhere between 30 and 36 degrees. An easy way to find best total, is find 2 land marks approx 100 yards apart (middle to top of second gear distance) with vacuum advance disconnected and hose plugged,timing set too low,accelerate from one past the other,check mph at mark 2. Bump timing 2 degrees try again and again,it's goingbto peak,level than drop. You want lowest setting with best mph.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
My Goodwrench 350 crate came with with 2 o’clock position timing tabs for two balancer diameters. They just bolt on using two bolts on the timing cover. The holes in the tab are elongated so that you can slide it to get TDC exactly right.

Use a piston stop to find TDC. A PIA unless you take the plugs out first, but a fairly quick job after that.

projectmidnight74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
V8
Thanks for all the great info guys. Balancer is an 8 inch and I am just trying to keep this thing out of shops as much as I can since getting it back from a shop and it not totally finishing the job properly. Just trying to be pro active. Thanks for all the help, I will be back with updates soon.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wwws3rgiocom