Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kelly C

Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
I was driving my 86 K30 with a TH400 3 speed auto trans today and it sounded like it slammed down a gear and then the RPMs went flying. I still have reverse and it tries real hard to move forward but makes a lot of grinding sounds. My question is do I rebuild or replace? If I rebuild what kit do you recommend and if I replace what is your recommendation?

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I was driving my 86 K30 with a TH400 3 speed auto trans today and it sounded like it slammed down a gear and then the RPMs went flying. I still have reverse and it tries real hard to move forward but makes a lot of grinding sounds. My question is do I rebuild or replace? If I rebuild what kit do you recommend and if I replace what is your recommendation?
Sounds like it needs an overhaul or possible replacement if you completely grenaded the gear train.

Check out my TH400 Information Thread if you're considering rebuilding it yourself...Tons of resources, guidance, parts lists, mods and more...

If you don't plan on taking on the rebuild yourself, depending on where you are in California, I may be able to help...I'm in Las Vegas and regularly rebuild these transmissions.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Russo