Surface rust. What are the best practices?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris64

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
First post and I know there are many topics on this but the answers for these are always situational so I wanted to share my latest findings taking this rodent house apart. Yell at me if I'm doing it wrong.

First, the bed. It doesn't look terrible. I have a portable sand blaster. I was thinking of giving that a shot, maybe using some media that's less destructive, but I used it on a bike frame before at it wasn't too bad (just messy). A wire wheel would take forever and be even more messy. I wasn't looking to make it new again, but I want it sealed from the elements. I'd like to get a spray in liner but there's some debate on that. Should it get a chemical dip or ??? This is my first rodeo on a car restoration and I have more time than money.
You must be registered for see images attach

Second, OK, still a rust question but I we're moving to the interior. Thoughts on this floor. It doesn't seem compromised (poking it with a screwdriver). Is a wire wheel and rust encapsulating paint a decent plan?

Third, the floor was covered in something that seemed like Dynamat, but it was attached to foam. Is this a factory thing? The good; it's easy to remove. The bad; it traps moisture.

And bonus question; How does this hood work? I'm afraid to close it all the way. It has no cable, just a lever in the front.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Bed is easy slurry blast or sand blast. Slurry blast will not distort metal. To do the same with interior nearly everything will need to be stripped out. Sand will get everywhere. Bed below is a Ranchero just after epoxy primer was applied. Metal is about the same gauge, slurry blasted, no warping

Attachments

• 100_0983.JPG
    100_0983.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 5

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
not sure on the bed…

The stuff in the cab I would knock any loose stuff off and epoxy or encapsulate. A D/A with 220 should make light work of it.

The hood latch should be in the grille on a ‘74, right in the center at the top.

Based on the amount of light rust you should definitely make sure your hood hinges are lubricated well, these trucks are easy to fold a crease in the hood when the hinges get worn and dry.

Also make sure the drain holes in the rear cab corners, and above the wheel wells (front and rear) are clear and not clogged with crud. Those are common spots to rust out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjjp