Suburban Interior Trim

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scenic760

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
Hey All!

I'm picking back up my project as it should be back from the paint shop shortly (hopefully anyways) after being there since Oct 23! I wasn't in a hurry as I had a few other project to finish up.

I went to the junkyard yesterday as they had a 1984 Chevy Suburban 2wd, barn doors (mine is 1981 4wd GMC w/ tailgate) I grabbed some small parts off of but the interior was in great shape. The thing that I had a question on was that this Burb had vinyl panels in the cargo section and plastic trim in the rear windows. Mine has none of that and I was wondering if it's just missing or a 1981 doesn't have that. I have scoured forums and factory brochure for an answer but couldn't find any examples?!

Thanks again all!

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
My 80 is bare like that and so was the 77.

Goldie, the 80, is a Sierra Classic, and the 77 was a Silverado so I assume that they fancied them up later in life.

Less plastic to fade for us.

:anitoof:

scenic760

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
My 80 is bare like that and so was the 77.

Goldie, the 80, is a Sierra Classic, and the 77 was a Silverado so I assume that they fancied them up later in life.

Less plastic to fade for us.

:anitoof:
I believe you are indeed correct! I went to the GM Heritage Center and looked up the specs for 1981 and 1984...the 84 sheet does spec out plastic and vinyl in the rear quarters of the Silverado, 81 does not.

The other interesting thing is that the rear quarter windows had a significant amount of rust on them...wonder if the trim trapping moisture had anything to do with it?!

Attachments

• 1984 burb.jpg
    1984 burb.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 22

496bb

Reaction score
First Name
CL
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban R20
Engine Size
Mine is a Custom Deluxe 1987 - no trim in the back. I've heard others mention rust around the windows, and I too think there may be something to your idea. I want to add rear AC to mine, but otherwise I'm gonna leave the back bare for utility. Prob do the lizardskin for heat and sound on the ceiling and those cargo areas, then top coat the exposed parts with paint match.

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Mine is a Custom Deluxe 1987 - no trim in the back. I've heard others mention rust around the windows, and I too think there may be something to your idea. I want to add rear AC to mine, but otherwise I'm gonna leave the back bare for utility. Prob do the lizardskin for heat and sound on the ceiling and those cargo areas, then top coat the exposed parts with paint match.
Yup that's how our square Burbs were. '84 and '90 had big plastic trim pieces around the long side windows. '75, '77 and '79 are just painted metal, like the body color. And the '79 was a Silverado, other two were Sierra Classic's.
Only places they rusted were around the outside of those windows, the upper corners of the back of the top(particularly the right side since the AC is there) and around the taillights and rear corners.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OurDually