Stepside bed hits gas tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rick76

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Replaced the rotten bed boards and front cross sill. But now the bed rests on the gas tank before the sill reaches the frame. Particularly part of the step. The bedside also touches the fuel filler neck. Maybe it was like that from PO too. Could the fuel tank be mounted too high somehow? My boards are the standard 3/4” thickness.

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
did you take the wood bed sills out and maybe have them in the wrong order. i thought there were 2 different sizes....maybe I am mistaken ....or i dreamt it

Rick76

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
There are two different sizes, but the difference is super obvious. I 100% have them in the correct order and the old sill i replaced at the front is the same height as the old one. 2 3/16" tall. I think the PO overtightened the gas tank mount straps causing the tank to angle up more than designed. I wonder if the bed was just resting on the tank the entire time and they just cranked the bolts down and said good-enough. My current strategy is to shim under the front sills to elevate the bed 1/2" in the front. That will make it clear the tank and filler.

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Gotcha. Scary that the bed and tank were rubbing

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Got any pictures? Is the bed shifted to one side too far?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Doolin