Steering column swap on my 83 k 10!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shonto777

Reaction score
First Name
Shaun
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 silverado
Engine Size
383 stroker
Hey guys, I'm at a loss.ivr got an 83 k 10 I recently replaced my tilt steering column to a fixed column. Both columns are column shift columns but my truck is a manual. I bought it this way, it had no issues, other than the ignition lock gate? That connects the rod to the tumbler was busted in two, and I had it tore down all the way to the two piss on the a de for the tilt. I could only get the I e side out u made a puller, but broke screws offf in it. ,long story short. I found a steering. Column for 50,bux it was out of a 72 Chevelle. All's the same except when I went to start truck the ignition turned the truck on I ly when turned backwards. Towards me instead of front like all vehicles. I found out the non tilt vs. tilt has the ig itio. Switch being reversed. So I took the tilt switch and put it on the new column. And now I have no start. I should say that the truck has been modified before I bought it so that the only thing coming off column power wise is the. Ignition and blinker. and the wipers have a toggle on the dash. Like I said I've had truck for four years no issue . But the ignition gate or whatever it's called that links the tumbler to the switch was broken. I could not get it torn all the way down to put that stupid lil part in. I ended up finding a steering column that has all good parts in it. Only difference is it is fixed and not tilt. But when turning truck on it would only engage and fire when I turned key backwards and the dummy gauge stays on and won't go off no matter how I turn it. So I found out the non tilt vs tilt ignition switch operates the opposite, that Is why it starts turning key towards me. So I swapped the switch out with the switch from the tilt column. And I got no start at all, blinker works, And dummy light still stays on when power is on. What did I do or not do to cause this? And is it because the switches are wired different? Because I tried to simply turn the switch around that came with the column but I cannot mount the column up because it hits the inside parts of the dash. Thanks in advance

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Doolin