Steering box frame reinforcement weld in plates

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rumbledawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 crewcab
Engine Size
a cheaper alternative to them expensive plates and braces.
gm also made a factory brace that was usually installed on 1 ton 4 by's.
i have 38's, 39's and 42" tires for my crew. in over 20 yrs have never cracked the frame, even with the big rubber.
i also have a chunk of 1/4" angle bolted to the frame by the front of the spring hangers, which also makes a handy spot for a front receiver. between the 2 pieces, frame flex is pretty much non-existent around the box saving the frame from any cracks.
You must be registered for see images attach

blew the sector shaft seal on my old box last yr. frame looks pretty minty to me

dhartman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
c15
Engine Size
Qe just got ours sandblasted and to my suprise there was no cracks on ours. We are going to be putting the bolt on plate for good measure to keep it from cracking in the future.

Attachments

• 1000008459.jpg
    1000008459.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 8

JBswth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
292 cubic inches
That is pretty rare. I will say that every time someone tells me that they don't have a crack, after stripping the paint and removing the box, I have always found a crack. On my '77 C10, I inspected it very thoroughly and even had a frame shop take a second look before sending to powdercoat and didn't see anything. After blasting, I found a very tiny hairline crack that I had to weld up.

On that truck I have the autofab brace to the rear of the box and the Ridetech triangulation braces up front. C30's have a triangulation brace and I've always wanted to see if I could adapt it to the C10 frame.
Maybe because mine do not have power steering?

J. B.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
78ALB