STA superlug 9x16

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheClassicRed

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
NA
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the 36in 9.00x16 STA Superlugs on a square. I'd like to put them on my 79.

Lift?
Advertised size vs real size?
Are they bias or radial? (Both have been said before)
Sound?
Ride?

If they're not so good I want to find a different set like them. I like the older long and lengthy tires more than the wide fuel guzzelers that are normal today

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I should have a pair of them by the end of today. Unfortunately, I won't be home to install them until sometime this next week.

I've seen them in person before. Iirc, actual diameter is just over 36". They are for sure a bias ply. Other than finding something used or NOS, the Super Lug is the only tire left that is offered in a 9.00x16. You can do a Google search and find other tires offered, but they are out of stock and out of production.

I run a set of old Power King 9.00x16's on my dually. Two of them are shot and need replaced, which is why I'm only getting two of the Super Lugs. I'll run them on the front, leaving the more aggressive Power Kings on the rear.

TheClassicRed

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
NA
I should have a pair of them by the end of today. Unfortunately, I won't be home to install them until sometime this next week.

I've seen them in person before. Iirc, actual diameter is just over 36". They are for sure a bias ply. Other than finding something used or NOS, the Super Lug is the only tire left that is offered in a 9.00x16. You can do a Google search and find other tires offered, but they are out of stock and out of production.

I run a set of old Power King 9.00x16's on my dually. Two of them are shot and need replaced, which is why I'm only getting two of the Super Lugs. I'll run them on the front, leaving the more aggressive Power Kings on the rear.
If you remember me. Tell me how they run. Steering and speed is my main concern. I can always add more sound deadening

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If you remember me. Tell me how they run. Steering and speed is my main concern. I can always add more sound deadening

Will do. I expect them to ride and steer like what I have now, which is actually pretty darn nice. The only thing that concerns me is the lack of a tread design with a continuous center rib like what I have now. I'll let you know what I find out, along with how round they are.

TheClassicRed

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
NA
Will do. I expect them to ride and steer like what I have now, which is actually pretty darn nice. The only thing that concerns me is the lack of a tread design with a continuous center rib like what I have now. I'll let you know what I find out, along with how round they are.
Thank you. What gears do you run in the dually?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Thank you. What gears do you run in the dually?

4.56:1. It works pretty well with the tire size. It's actually the factory original ratio, I can't imagine how that would have been with the original tires that were only 29 or so inches tall.

TheClassicRed

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
NA
4.56:1. It works pretty well with the tire size. It's actually the factory original ratio, I can't imagine how that would have been with the original tires that were only 29 or so inches tall.
I plan on putting 4.10 in but I may bump it up to 4.56

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
My brother went and picked up my new pair for me. They look about like they do in the internet listings. They hold their shape well when stacked, which is a good sign of carcass strength.

You must be registered for see images attach

I should be installing them on Thursday.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

Ok, I got them mounted a day early. Typically I have always mounted and balanced my own tires, but this time I simply took them to a family owned shop in town to have them mounted on another pair of rims I had. The guy had no problems getting them balanced on a spin type balancer. He said they spun fairly true, especially for a bias ply. One tire took A LOT more weight than the other one did. Not as if it had a heavy spot, but more of a runout/weight type issue. But it did balance out.

Once mounted on the truck and taken for a drive, they seem to be a quality tire. They go down the road smooth as can be and the ride is very nice. Like most any tall bias ply tire, steering response is not as good as a radial, but imho, the improved ride quality more than makes up for it. If they make a bunch of road noise, I couldn't tell with the wind noise with all 4 windows down. They seemed very quiet though. I can't speak for flat spots though since they have just been installed. I expect that if they sit for several days, it may take a mile or so for them to smooth out.

Other things worth noting is they are actually a Load Range G tire. The highest rated 16" tires I recall ever seeing were Range F, and those were trailer tires. So that's quite impressive. Max PSI is 90, I'm currently running 55PSI. My old Power Kings were only Range D, with a 50PSI max. They were also made in Mexico, where as the STA SuperLugs are actually made in the good ol USA.

OD before installation was right about 35". OD after installation is a little over 36". That's right in line with the specs of the old Power King tires.

TheClassicRed

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
NA
What lift do you have on it? I'm split between 35/12.5R16s I like to have my fenders filled out without a giant gap between them and the tire

Also Nice truck. I'd kill for mine to be a dually so I could put Super singles on it and be the coolest guy at every meet.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
What lift do you have on it? I'm split between 35/12.5R16s I like to have my fenders filled out without a giant gap between them and the tire

Also Nice truck. I'd kill for mine to be a dually so I could put Super singles on it and be the coolest guy at every meet.

4" front springs (Superlift) and 3" blocks in the rear.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OurDually