Something killing battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

big corndong

Reaction score
First Name
dallas
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Hey guys, on Thursday, I replaced some plugs for my choke and alternator, while putting it back on realized my choke was never even grounded, grounded that and then had to leave for the weekend, went to start it up yesterday and it just clicked. My battery was dead, charged it up and drove it home with no problem, about 45 minutes later went outside to start it and it tried to start but ultimately started clicking again pretty fast. Something it draining my battery all of a sudden and not sure what it is. I didnt change anything in my wiring except for grounding my choke, so that’s the only thing I can imagine is draining my battery? I believe it’s tapped into my ignition somewhere, should I get power elsewhere? Should I unplug it completely? I’m very new to the Squarebody life so I appreciate any help I can get. I’m not by my truck so some follow up questions for me might not have an answer till later today when I can get back under the hood

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
Unhook the choke wire(s) and confirm.
First rule of diagnosing a problem. If it wasn’t a problem until you changed something, whatever you changed likely is the problem.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
350 w/203
Not a lot of meaningful info here. Electric Choke I suppose? Have you disconnected the ground you put on the choke, charged the battery and tried again?

big corndong

Reaction score
First Name
dallas
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Not a lot of meaningful info here. Electric Choke I suppose? Have you disconnected the ground you put on the choke, charged the battery and tried again?
Electric choke, yes. Today after work I’m going to disconnect it and charge the battery and see what happens

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Unhook your negative battery cable and hook a test light to it connect the other end of the test light to battery negative. Is the light on? Unhook your choke ground,did the light go out? Problem verified. No? Unhook the alternator including the wiring mod you made did your light go out? The problem is in that circuit. If one of those isn't the solution post back,we'll dive deeper.

Last edited:

big corndong

Reaction score
First Name
dallas
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Unhook your negative battery cable and hook a test light to it connect the other end of the test light to battery negative. Is the light on? Unhook your choke ground,did the light go out? Problem verified. No? Unhook the alternator including the wiring mod you made did your light go out? The problem is in that circuit. If one of those isn't the solution post back,we'll dive deeper.
Okay so little update. Realized I had wired the alternator incorrectly and had constant power going to the wrong spot, so switched that over, as well as got a new battery because my battery was shot. Ran great for a few days, battery didn’t die overnight, started easy everytime. Go to my truck this morning, it made a fast noise like it was going to crank over, but then stopped. Battery completed dead again. Go to jump it and nothing. No power, no lights no nothing. Not sure what to do

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
First check cables,clean and tight if they have repair ends make sure they are clean and tight where the wires go in

Last edited:

Long Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I recently bought a C20 that had been in a storage shed since May of 2012. One of the problems was the same as yours. I put a new battery in it and then Had my wife start it while I watched with the hood up. Sparks were shooting from my exhaust manifold. The heat shield had rubbed a small hole in the batt cable and was shorting to it. Heck of a light show. A rerouted new batt cable solved my problem..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lfuqua20