Repositioning Tilt Steering Column closer to dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTP51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Geoff
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado half ton Stepside
Engine Size
I'm looking at ways of repositioning my tilt column forward, as us taller folks know space is limited in the cabin, has anyone successfully moved a factory tilt column closer to the dash? if so please share whats involved.
I have already fitted different seats and played all the usual games in search of additional cabin space.smaller flat steering wheel and thin boss already fitted
Thanks
Geoff

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
I'm not aware of anyone that's just slid the column forward but there are a few different guys out there you can send your column to to be shortened. Usually they shorten them 2" further toward the dash. I know its disassembly and cutting but don't know what exactly goes into it. I've also seen columns shortened on the engine bay side as well (I say that cuz I plan to send mine off and have both done for better geometry of the steering shaft for my R&P conversion)

dd1990

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 1500
Engine Size
I've seen someone drill a hole in the center of the column mounting plate under the dash. This allows you to push in the column an inch after loosening bolts in engine bay but your left with two mounting bolts as apposed to 4 under the dash.

joe31969

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size
Cummins 6BT
Not cheap, but I think they are 2 inches shorter.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
I moved mine in 2" by putting the bracket forward on only 2 bolts. No issues from it but I don't have a neutral safety to worry about either. Not sure that would work well on an automatic

GTP51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Geoff
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado half ton Stepside
Engine Size
Thanks everyone for the information , I will do some measurements , the S10 Column is an interesting one, only thing will be finding one here in OZ to compare.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brantley