Replacing 454 gaskets opinion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Byard-HWJ

Reaction score
First Name
Herb
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Hello, I have finally had an opportunity to pull my donor 160k mile 1993 454 engine to swap into a 1980 K30, the engine ran as smooth as a 2024 model when pulled. The only oil leaks that I see right now are a leaking power steering line, maybe oil coolers lines and valve covers. (bolts were loose) While I had the engine running under my shed I noticed some smoke but I'm not sure it was from the exhaust as it looked fine. (could have been oil on exhaust manifolds?) I did pull the plugs and all the tips were clean with the exception of some build up around the electrode on a couple. I'll post picture when I get a good one.

My question which I think I know the answer to is would you all replace all gaskets on the engine while it's out and accessible with maybe a exception to the head gaskets. I thinking oil pan, timing cover, rear main, valve guide seals, valve covers, Tbi, exhaust and maybe intake, the whole Felpro set except head and intake.
Also what about timing chain and gears and would you replace oil pump?

let me know what you think.....really don't want to do a full rebuild, just don't want leaks and problems down the road.

Thanks

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Personally, I'd do all of the above including head gaskets while it's out and easily accessible. That'll also give you a chance to inspect the bottom end and cylinder wall condition

Byard-HWJ

Reaction score
First Name
Herb
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Thanks, yeah I had thought about if I pulled the heads I could have a look at that. I was blown away at how clean it was when I pulled a valve cover off, I was told it was a one owner who only used it to put a boat in and out at the beach and occasional trips.

Old Guy Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I cleaned everything good and replaced all the gaskets except for the heads on the motor for the project I’m doing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YardPickerUpper