replacement hydroboost unit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

plugugly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Truck Year
Truck Model
blazer
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
the one on my kids 87 K5 is leaking. Id rather not put a remanufactured cardone unit in it.

Does anyone know a more modern boost unit that would work? swapping brackets is easy enough, as is swapping the pushrod. Dont even care if the fittings are different, but would still need it pretty close and a two post master mount.

plugugly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Truck Year
Truck Model
blazer
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
so I ordered a stock reman unit and one from an 05 master.

Im guessing a chevy HB unit crosses over from rig to rig, with just the brackets being different and possibly pushrods (confirmed by the gal at Vanco. BTW Van is no longer there). However, the 06 silverado unit I got my hands on is totally different where the master attaches, with a star washer thing and pushrod already installed, and a smaller body over all. Its been years since I installed the HB unit on my car (purchased from vanco like 15 years ago.) fitting threads seem are the same.

Am I missing something? Are the washer and pushrod pulled from the stock booster when I replace it, and just happens to be in the newer version? both seem to have standard 2 bolt master cyl mounting. Id run a stock master cylinder till I swap discs in the back with the one ton swap and then likely run that late 70s corvette MC which I seem to remember as the right master.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
I Don't know allot about hydro boost. I like it lol. But I know they made some difference here and there 1995 was a special year for GMT400, but being GM with enough pieces around almost anything is adaptable. I'm thinking you can probably get away with hydro boost stuff from the 90s chevys aka GMT400 to fit on the square.

Tonimus

Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Suburban
Engine Size
We used a Wilwood hydroboost unit in the '63 Nova. It's just a Bosch. Anything off an Astro or Express should work for people too. Sorry I'm late to the party.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
We used a Wilwood hydroboost unit in the '63 Nova. It's just a Bosch. Anything off an Astro or Express should work for people too. Sorry I'm late to the party.
Hydroboost on a 63 chevy 2/ nova? Why? I bet it stops good lol

Tonimus

Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Suburban
Engine Size
Hydroboost on a 63 chevy 2/ nova? Why? I bet it stops good lol
Because we didn't want vacuum issues with the 427 Shafiroff in it, and hydroboost units are a lot smaller than vacuum boosters.

And yes, it stops. Biggest brakes we could put inside 15" wheels. When you stomp the brake pedal, you go back in time.

You must be registered for see images attach

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Because we didn't want vacuum issues with the 427 Shafiroff in it, and hydroboost units are a lot smaller than vacuum boosters.

And yes, it stops. Biggest brakes we could put inside 15" wheels. When you stomp the brake pedal, you go back in time.

Yessssssss! GM power baby!!

CountKrunk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Count
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Custom Deluxe 3+3
Engine Size
v8 350
Lol i never question increasing safety!

I'll keep this info tucked away, not sure what I'll uncover as i move through the brakes on my truck.

It stops fine so i expect a new master isnt in the cards, yet! Haha

plugugly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Truck Year
Truck Model
blazer
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
right, thats what I was thinking. Im running a "chevy" booster on my scout (which was on a full size bronco). I know the astrovans are a popular swap for lots of people, I think thats what I started with years ago. THat is why I am looking for something newer to swap to. Id really like to not go down the reman rabbit hole and just "hope" for a decent unit, as my son is doing to the work while I observe as I just had hip surgery and cant help. Well that, and doing this twice or more will suck. Id rather spend a few extra bucks and get a "new" one, but even for the astros, that seems hard to do.

Tonimus

Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Suburban
Engine Size
right, thats what I was thinking. Im running a "chevy" booster on my scout (which was on a full size bronco). I know the astrovans are a popular swap for lots of people, I think thats what I started with years ago. THat is why I am looking for something newer to swap to. Id really like to not go down the reman rabbit hole and just "hope" for a decent unit, as my son is doing to the work while I observe as I just had hip surgery and cant help. Well that, and doing this twice or more will suck. Id rather spend a few extra bucks and get a "new" one, but even for the astros, that seems hard to do.
https://a.co/d/0jsj4s5 Check that one out.

plugugly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Damon
Truck Year
Truck Model
blazer
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
thats interesting. rockauto says its for the 2011 year only. What do you know about it?

in doing a google search, this one showed as an alternative on some chevy truck site and its slightly cheaper, its for 07-11

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lfuqua20