Rear driveshaft help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

George915

Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So I removed my rear driveshaft to repair a leak coming from my transfer case rear output seal. Decided to replace u joints also And clean up the driveshaft. Then I wire wheeled the shaft and then decided to paint it. I accidentally painted over the my mark showing me which end was which. Both ends of shaft look identical. My question is does it matter which end of the shaft goes to the rear diff versus transfer case.

Zelph

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
350 TBI
If the trans case doesn’t have a slip yoke the driveshaft should have a splined extension joint. Typically the portion with the male splines attaches to the differential.

George915

Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The slip yoke was removed to replace the u joint. And the u joint that attaches to the rear differential is held in by 4 bolts and 2 clips so I have 2 identical ends in the shaft. I guess square root is right it’s 50/50 at this point.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
350 w/203
You must be registered for see images attach

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
The slip yoke was removed to replace the u joint. And the u joint that attaches to the rear differential is held in by 4 bolts and 2 clips so I have 2 identical ends in the shaft. I guess square root is right it’s 50/50 at this point.
You’ve got a 25% chance of getting it right the first time…

50% on getting the correct end of the shaft mated to the slip yoke,

And 50% chance (at each end) of getting the tube yoke oriented correctly at the slip yoke.

Like @SquareRoot said just go for it, if you get a vibration try again. Good luck Sir

Tip: next time use the corner of a file to gouge a small groove in the mating parts, a center punch and hammer can do the job too. Those marks can even survive sandblasting if done right.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
If Im reading it right, slip yoke splines aren’t the issue.
It’ll likely work fine either way, but the short half of the driveshaft (the slip yoke end) should go to the transfer case. If it’s on the axle end it’ll wear the splines quicker.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
350 w/203
I wuz jest compairin' the dryveshaft setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REK1