1987 R10 shutoff while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rcotner

Reaction score
First Name
Ronald
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Silverado R10
Engine Size
305 ci
Had my 1987 R10 out for about a 20 mile drive one way. Upon returning within 3 miles of home it lost power and the Service Engine Soon light came on.

1. Checked the Fuel injection for fuel and it’s getting fuel

2. Checked coil for spark (NO SPARK)

3. Changed coil with another coil from another running 305 Chevy motor and still nothing (NO SPARK)

4. Checked for spark on other plug wires and NO SPARK as well.

Have not hooked up and OBD reader to see a code

Thinking it may be the control module in the distributor?

Any thoughts?

Also, if it is the control module what is the recommended heat transfer grease to be installed with a new one?

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
I'd say the ICM in the distributor is a highly likely suspect. If you don't want to do further diagnostic to be sure, this is one time getting out the single shot parts cannon isn't a terrible idea. Plus, if it doesn't resolve the issue, keeping a spare ICM in the glovebox is advisable because it is one of the few easy repair items that might leave you stranded that can be replaced in about 15-20min.

I'd only replace with an ACDELCO part and it should come with the grease to use.

rcotner

Reaction score
First Name
Ronald
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Silverado R10
Engine Size
305 ci
Thanks for your response and input gmbellew. I got it running as it was the ICM. Will definitely get a spare and carry it with. Thanks again!

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Thanks for your response and input gmbellew. I got it running as it was the ICM. Will definitely get a spare and carry it with. Thanks again!
NAPA and GM modules were and probably still are the only modules that vary dwell time. As @gmbellew said use a GM module or good NAPA module cheap modules don't have the same life expectancy. Good modules last a long long time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Russo