question about gmc vs chevy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Barrett-FL

Reaction score
First Name
Barrett
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I recently bought an 86 Chev. C10 that has GMC badging (likely due to donor fenders and tailgate) and while I own a 94 GMC Z71 which I bought new) I intend to remove the GMC badging and go with Cheverolet as I believe Chevy has a higher favorability amongst car people and… because it is a Chevy.
Just have fun building it as you want to!

Johnny Atomic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic 1500
Engine Size
We built some that were Chevy on one side and GMC on the other.

K
I remember the day my older cousin (that i always thought of as my uncle) bought a brand new Chevy OBS RCSB, it was about 1989. It had a Chevrolet logo on the driver's door and a GMC logo on the passenger door. Nobody noticed until my dad pointed it out. My cousin took it back to the dealership to "get it fixed".

So I did happen, I saw it with my own eyes.

The funny thing is my cousin's Dad (My grandpa's brother) and my grandpa always argued which was better Chevrolet or GMC. My Grandad always said GMC was built tougher for harder work. My great uncle said the Chevrolet rode and drove better. That's one reason why I have his '83 GMC today is he swore GMC had a stronger frame, which was probably true 20 or 30 years before this happened.

Walstw01

Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
My boys built my 79 GMC k25 for me after my 99 siloveado died. They pulled all sorts of bowtie stuff off of my 99 and put on the GMC (grill emblem, floormats, mudflaps), not 2 mention it already had a chevy box on it ... with different generation quarters on it (driver's side has the square door, passenger side has the round hole for the exposed cap).
I even plan to figure out a way to make my 99 seats fit in it (eventually).

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I remember the day my older cousin (that i always thought of as my uncle) bought a brand new Chevy OBS RCSB, it was about 1989. It had a Chevrolet logo on the driver's door and a GMC logo on the passenger door.
The funny thing is my cousin's Dad (My grandpa's brother) and my grandpa always argued which was better Chevrolet or GMC. My Grandad always said GMC was built tougher for harder work. My great uncle said the Chevrolet rode and drove better. That's one reason why I have his '83 GMC today is he swore GMC had a stronger frame, which was probably true 20 or 30 years before this happened.
So the drivers side rode better but the passenger side worked harder? That might have been the worlds first "Hybrid". :laughing1:

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
Damn y'all. They are both cool as ****. My first ride was a GMC....Safari van so, I didn't really link together that it was better than a Chevy, I just knew that it was sister to Chevy. Eventually I had a Chevy S 10 and now I have my 87 Silverado. GMC is awesome and always has been. Both are awesome. If I were looking for any other truck I would be happy to have A bow tie or a gentleman's truck.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
For example of GMC vs Chevy. From "Roughly " 1960 to maybe 1972 the GMC had leaf springs and Chevys had coils. No real difference after that other than badging. And personally In some cases I like some of the GMC Grilles better.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
What did Dino say?...
Chevy Only LOL

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Okay, here you go. GMC kept a metal grille until 1972. Chevy went to plastic in 1967. And of course the best GMC grille in plastic was their first, 1973 & '74. :hands:

I pulled the plastic grille out of my '82 and replaced it with metal and metal letters.

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sqrbdy