Power Tour

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'm hitting the road from Michigan Thursday morning for days 4 and 5. It will be my first power tour. Also the first time the truck has been on an expressway. This trip will also probably multiply the milage on it by like 6 lol. Only just started driving it around this year.

Here's a picture of my rig, come say hello if you see it.
You must be registered for see images attach

I'll send a PM with my phone # and maybe we can meet up. If anything goes wrong I'm not too far off the beaten path between the Ohio and Indy events.

I still haven't been able to meet up with @TravisB yet. In the morning I'm going to head to the area of town he's staying in and hunt him down, lol.

Old Guy Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The tour will be here in Louisville today, but I just don’t have the time to get into town to the stadium to see it… in my younger years nothing would have stopped me.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
@TravisB has likely one of the cleanest all original and unrestored original trucks I've ever seen that wasn't super low miles.

PeteJr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic 1500
Engine Size
I must be getting old........ 10,000 vehicles all packed into one area, hot summer heat, overpriced event doesn't seem fun any more.
Now where my map to Dino's ??

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I must be getting old........ 10,000 vehicles all packed into one area, hot summer heat, overpriced event doesn't seem fun any more.
Now where my map to Dino's ??

It's my first one and while the heat does get to me, I have still really enjoyed it. Especially today at National Trails. There was plenty of room for everyone and healthy grass to park on. It was also easy to get in and out. Plus there was a mild breeze all day. And I have a 10x10 canopy that I set up for shade.

TravisB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I ended up having a good time. I wound up with a headache in Columbus but still got out to have dinner with @bucket and looking back, I might do power tour again. The first couple of days were a lot of waiting in line and slow progress. Then it turned into fairly smooth sailing for the last three stops. For those thinking about going, I would encourage you to make sure your cooling system can handle gridlock idling for hours and think about AC.

I survived with no ac, power steering, or power brakes. If I can get my squarebody going I might take it next time.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
My cooling system is well proven in this truck but I definitely need to do AC and some better heat shielding before I do Power Tour. And carpet. Having a bare metal tunnel in this 92*+ heat is already miserable

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The AC in my wagon has the ability to function, but it was untested so I didn't run it, lol. Despite black paint and a black interior, it wasn't too bad as long as Kathleen wasn't in direct sunlight. I do believe that we plan to go again next year, just not have it as our "vacation" for the year. But I had fun, Kathleen had fun and even little Graham seemed to enjoy the trip too, so there’s really no reason not to go again.

Oh and @TravisB Kathleen and I really enjoyed meeting y'all too!

TravisB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I’m pretty sure Summer would go again. She had fun meeting you all too @bucket. I think she would have brought Graham home with us if she could.

I’d probably go again if I could. I did have more fun on the tailgate tour though. I don’t know if it was the cooler weather in March, less traffic, more back roads, or all of it combined. I’d have more fun in something more comfortable at any rate. I’d never wanted for power brakes in my truck until we got into the power tour traffic for a week

With some window tint, ac, an adjustable seat, power steering and brakes. I don’t think I’d had a single complaint.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gsparky