Oxygen sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Aren't there clamp on no weld needed O2 bungs out there?

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
MSD makes great products. I'm pretty sure they include instructions. Usually the first step when installing EFI is to remove all existing fuel delivery system components and throw them in the trash. Something smells fishy.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
MSD makes great products. I'm pretty sure they include instructions. Usually the first step when installing EFI is to remove all existing fuel delivery system components and throw them in the trash. Something smells fishy.
My thoughts are he's still using his stock computer for HEI and EGR . it's a California spec. truck.

martingmc86

Reaction score
First Name
martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra 1500
Engine Size
v8 5.0
My thoughts are he's still using his stock computer for HEI and EGR . it's a California spec. truck.
So my only way would be swap out the distributor so the computer can be eliminated and just run on the MSD ATOMIC EFI

Raybo135

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Raymond
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
I’m just trying to keep 1 02 sensor reason is I don’t have a welder to weld another band on it also I can probe four wires on the new O2 sensor. Can someone let me know what I should be looking for on the DVMeter
Take it down to a muffler shop, have them drop a new hole and wells on a new Bung. 50 bucks max!

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
So my only way would be swap out the distributor so the computer can be eliminated and just run on the MSD ATOMIC EFI
Or put in your stock O2 sensor. If you change distributors,your still going to get a CEL . Thing about CEL is it doesn't monitor, temp,oil pressure etc. It monitors emissions related items. Things that cause air pollution or will burn up the catalytic converter.If you swap distributors then pull the bulb and forget about it. If you keep your distributor ,it will never go into closed loop without the O2 sensor.

Last edited:

martingmc86

Reaction score
First Name
martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra 1500
Engine Size
v8 5.0
Or put in your stock O2 sensor. If you change distributors,your still going to get a CEL . Thing about CEL is it doesn't monitor, temp,oil pressure etc. It monitors emissions related items. Things that cause air pollution or will burn up the catalytic converter.If you swap distributors then pull the bulb and forget about it. If you keep your distributor ,it will never go into closed loop without the O2 sensor.
That makes pretty good sense what about my egr valve it’s kinda in my way for the new EFI is it ok that I plugged it up

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
That makes pretty good sense what about my egr valve it’s kinda in my way for the new EFI is it ok that I plugged it up
Not really,but the way your doing the while thing seems wrong and if it ever has to pass an emissions test,it's not going to pass. It won't pass a visual inspection. 305s tend to ping anyway, egr helps with this,some people get away with swapping distributors with no ping,others don't. If you are going to buy another HEI I'd recommend an MSD street fire. Reason is a respected member on this forumn used one and they got away with it. All HEIs do not have the same rate of advance,the same amount of vacuum advance or the same amount of advance. Which maybe why some get away with it,some don't. I didn't,I just stabbed any old HEI in Bucket did,he used a street fire. Robyn didn't but he used ? HEI. I called MSD to get the specs. Their tech guy could tell me nothing,they are what they are,we don't know the specs etc. I'd want to use my factory distributor,with a factory O2 sensor and I would try to make my EGR work.

Last edited:

martingmc86

Reaction score
First Name
martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra 1500
Engine Size
v8 5.0
Not really,but the way your doing the while thing seems wrong and if it ever has to pass an emissions test,it's not going to pass. It won't pass a visual inspection. 305s tend to ping anyway, egr helps with this,some people get away with swapping distributors with no ping,others don't. If you are going to buy another HEI I'd recommend an MSD street fire. Reason is a respected member on this forumn used one and they got away with it. All HEIs do not have the same rate of advance,the same amount of vacuum advance or the same amount of advance. Which maybe why some get away with it,some don't. I didn't,I just stabbed any old HEI in Bucket did,he used a street fire. Robyn didn't but he used ? HEI. I called MSD to get the specs. Their tech guy could tell me nothing,they are what they are,we don't know the specs etc. I'd want to use my factory distributor,with a factory O2 sensor and I would try to make my EGR work.
I don’t need the truck to be California emission friendly The truck is no longer in California and does not require his mock test or emissions test.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I don’t need the truck to be California emission friendly The truck is no longer in California and does not require his mock test or emissions test.
Robyn and I both went back to our factory knock sensor HEIs and working EGR Robyn tried for over a year to make his truck run as good with a standard HEI . I can try to find a link to his HEI ordeal he chronicled it. And Robyn's no dummy he tried to make things work. In the long run factory HEI and working EGR were the answer for his truck. EGR isn't just an emissions device its part of the engine management so is the knock sensor HEI. Found it.
Thread 'ESC need someone that knows more about ESC system than I do' https://www.gmsquarebody.com/thread...-knows-more-about-esc-system-than-i-do.33216/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LittleWeldz