Nv4500 ‘rattle’ between acceleration and deceleration…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

7900_Blazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Francis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
Just a quick update... I was able to order a slip-yoke CV joint driveshaft from Tom Woods as no one else seems to be able to source the slip-yoke CV joint. The new driveshaft WITH the slip-yoke CV joint was less expensive than Inland Truck part's new driveshaft with no CV joint... and got it to me in the same week - I ordered it Monday, they built it Tuesday and shipped it free of charge to me - received it Friday.

I installed it on Sunday and it solved the tranny screaming at me when 'coasting' in 3rd, 4th or 5th gear - amazing what a CV joint will do.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Just a quick update... I was able to order a slip-yoke CV joint driveshaft from Tom Woods as no one else seems to be able to source the slip-yoke CV joint. The new driveshaft WITH the slip-yoke CV joint was less expensive than Inland Truck part's new driveshaft with no CV joint... and got it to me in the same week - I ordered it Monday, they built it Tuesday and shipped it free of charge to me - received it Friday.

I installed it on Sunday and it solved the tranny screaming at me when 'coasting' in 3rd, 4th or 5th gear - amazing what a CV joint will do.
If the driveshaft fixed the tranny screaming at me issue the tranny wasn't the problem. On the side, that's a nice looking paint job from what I can tell.

7900_Blazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Francis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
If the driveshaft fixed the tranny screaming at me issue the tranny wasn't the problem. On the side, that's a nice looking paint job from what I can tell.
I suspected it may be the single u-joint at the transmission where originally there was a CV joint...and after speaking with the technician at Tom Woods Driveshafts - he felt certain the issue was having two u-joints over-spinning the internals of the tranny. That is why it was yelling at me AND why adding a CV to it (the idea being the 3rd u-joint offsets the other two)... I didn't really understand technically what he was saying regarding 'over-spinning'... but the tranny doesn't yell at me any longer :).

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
tranny doesn't yell at me any longer :).
Nobody likes that except for those with unresolved childhood issues.

Glad you got it figured out. I'll take a CV any day weather it "needs" it or not.

7900_Blazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Francis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
I thought I'd provide a follow-up to this post.

As stated above - I installed a slip-yoke 'cv' joint drive shaft from Tom Woods Driveshafts to solve my 'rattle' issue from the drive train. I drove it about 800 miles to Breckenridge CO via Amarillo and Colorado Springs. When I got to Colorado Springs I was hearing something 'funny'... I'd had Discount Tire rotate my tires... turns out the lug nuts on the left rear tire had backed off (I should have double-checked them at Amarillo). I picked up a torque wrench and torqued them all to 120 ft lbs... I had a slight oil leak out of the top of the NV4500... but otherwise a pretty nice trip there and back - roughly 2000 miles total. Not too bad for a 50 year old vehicle.

Thanks everyone for their help - not just on this thread but all the help you all have provided me over the years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OurDually