Norcal noob - 78 K25 project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ProjectWJ

Reaction score
First Name
JOE
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
I just had my grandfather's truck delivered last week - this thing was his pride and joy for the last 20 years! I didn't have a place for it when he passed (RIP Grandpa T), so it's been sitting at my Uncle's for a few years - I finally moved and had a towing company bring it out from Carson City....

I pulled the camper shell last weekend, pressure washed it top to bottom and pulled a bunch of old semi useless electronical (old alarm, etc). Plan to pick up a battery this weekend, change the fluids and see if I can't get it started...

Grandpa swapped the 350 for a 454 out of a chevelle (72? - I don't recall), built it from the crank up, had the motor balanced and blueprinted, threw detroit lockers in the axels front and rear, built the rear bumper (steel) and reinforced the front with the winch, threw a mild suspension lift on there, overdrive and a bunch of other things. It was a beast in it's day and I look forward to getting it back on the trails. I uploaded a few quick picks - it's actually not in that bad of shape, though it won't smog (visual) in Komifornia, so it's going to have to be registered no-op until the advance the smog exempt date to include pre-'81 .

I just joined so any feedback/info would definitely be helpful.

JUST GOT IT STARTED:
http://youtu.be/3M3ZjmR-w30

Attachments

• Camper Removed (Large).JPG
    Camper Removed (Large).JPG
    88 KB · Views: 151
  • 454 (Large).jpg
    454 (Large).jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 164
  • Delivered! (Large).jpg
    Delivered! (Large).jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:

heavyleft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10/K5
Engine Size
350ci
Holy 454...nice rig! Thats great that it is staying in the family and that you want to get it back to its glory days!

Welcome!

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Welcome! That is an awesome look, that truck looks beefy. I would say welcome neighbor but I just moved from Reno last week.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I just had my grandfather's truck delivered last week - this thing was his pride and joy for the last 20 years! I didn't have a place for it when he passed (RIP Grandpa T), so it's been sitting at my Uncle's for a few years - I finally moved and had a towing company bring it out from Carson City....

I pulled the camper shell last weekend, pressure washed it top to bottom and pulled a bunch of old semi useless electronical (old alarm, etc). Plan to pick up a battery this weekend, change the fluids and see if I can't get it started...

Grandpa swapped the 350 for a 454 out of a chevelle (72? - I don't recall), built it from the crank up, had the motor balanced and blueprinted, threw detroit lockers in the axels front and rear, built the rear bumper (steel) and reinforced the front with the winch, threw a mild suspension lift on there, overdrive and a bunch of other things. It was a beast in it's day and I look forward to getting it back on the trails. I uploaded a few quick picks - it's actually not in that bad of shape, though it won't smog (visual) in Komifornia, so it's going to have to be registered no-op until the advance the smog exempt date to include pre-'81 .

I just joined so any feedback/info would definitely be helpful.

Thats only if that law passes....I personally would like to see the law changed so they just deal with what comes out of the tailpipe, and no snooping under the hood.
And welcome from the Valley!
They gave you plates even though its not smoggable?

Last edited:

ProjectWJ

Reaction score
First Name
JOE
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
Thanks. There are a few counties in CA that don't require smog (grandparents lived in Bishop, Inyo County which is one of them). If anyone knows bishop, you know the purpose for the truck - he added a second 20 gallon fuel tank and built a stainless water tank into the rear fend so he could clean his fish! Lol.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Thanks. There are a few counties in CA that don't require smog (grandparents lived in Bishop, Inyo County which is one of them). If anyone knows bishop, you know the purpose for the truck - he added a second 20 gallon fuel tank and built a stainless water tank into the rear fend so he could clean his fish! Lol.

Ok, yeah, its MOST of the border counties. thought GPops lived in NV too.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Nice truck!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Nice. I like the old school Mickey T valve covers too !!!

Welcome to GMSB Joe. Feel Free to jump in and make yourself at home. Participate with some knowledge you might have to help others, or ask away if you need help. Assured, someone will have a suggestion or tip.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Nice ride, welcome.

ProjectWJ

Reaction score
First Name
JOE
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
Got it started today!!!
Took a new battery, new starter and a rebuilt carb (has an old Carter 9625 AFB - which was pretty gummed up). Drained the tanks and added some clean gas and it fired right up.

Check it out:

http://youtu.be/3M3ZjmR-w30

Took it for a quick spin after!

Getting started on the driveline next (rear end is slipping).

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Awesome. Timing might be a bit advanced the way it sounded while cranking it, unless it was already heated up that time. Even then, it could still be advanced.

ProjectWJ

Reaction score
First Name
JOE
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
Awesome. Timing might be a bit advanced the way it sounded while cranking it, unless it was already heated up that time. Even then, it could still be advanced.

Damn, you're good - yes, it was already warm by the time we drug out the camera phone. LOL.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Damn, you're good - yes, it was already warm by the time we drug out the camera phone. LOL.

Haha, is that you in the driver's seat? You look like a happy camper, lol!! :grd:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Smooth and quiet...what exhaust is on her?

ProjectWJ

Reaction score
First Name
JOE
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
Haha, is that you in the driver's seat? You look like a happy camper, lol!! :grd:

LOL, yes. :wave:

Smooth and quiet...what exhaust is on her?

Yes, too quiet! Long tube headers into a single full length exhaust (3"?), no cat(s) but it's got two inline mufflers - a flowmaster and some stainless can I don't recognize. Plan to remove the latter and turn down for now. What's the favorite exhaust setup around here?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
84K30dually