Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

big_sky

Reaction score
First Name
M
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
1981 C20

Truck was fitted with an old Equalizer (aftermarket) to the Radio. Wiring was a mess (should have taken pictures). Radio was powered only by a constant directly to the battery. Radio was grounded directly to the chassis. Factory wires were cut.

At this point, the horn/dome light/cig light only worked with both doors closed (I assume the switch in the door jamb created a ground).

I removed the radio and equalizer and then had no power at all to anything listed above (doors open or closed).

I began the process of installing a new radio and rewiring the harness as it would have been factory. I still have no power to the radio or any of the others.

*The only strange thing I did while wiring the radio was to splice into the cigarette light wire for constant power as this radio requires it and the truck does not have a factory constant wire for the radio.

**UPDATE - I removed the radio ground from the wiring harness and went directly to the chassis. This made no difference. I checked for power at the ignition once again and it was there with the key on.

Last edited:

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
Have you checked any of the fuses?

big_sky

Reaction score
First Name
M
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Yes. I can't find any blown fuses but I'm also unfamiliar with these trucks.
Most of the labeling/print for the fuses is worn off.
One thing I can add is that when I acquired the truck, the radio was powered only by a direct line to the battery but for some reason there was a fork terminal on the line between the radio and battery that was stuck into one of the open fuse locations.
I'll attach a picture here for verification what I have now looks correct.

Attachments

• IMG_20240716_114007162.jpg
    IMG_20240716_114007162.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 23

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zcostilla