No drill,no ream, DIY Quadrajet throttle bushings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Thought this might be helpful to some members. I personally have not done this, I have the correct drill bit and reamer and have always bought proper bushings. But your average diy carb rebuild where a guy would just skip doing the throttle bushings,for cost,or fear, not having the tools? . This seems like a real good option.

Last edited:

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Interesting, Re-bushing like it has always been done isn't hard but at the very least requires a reamer. Can see where that might be a good option for one-time rebuilders.

1STLS1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
MIchael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Many years ago when I had a carb leaking so bad that it required new bushings, I went to Tractor Supply, matched up bronze bushings that slip on the shaft, drilled it out and used green Loctite to retain it, then trimmed the excess. It wasn't that big of a deal but made all the difference in getting the carb back into the idle circuit along with fuel mileage. The truck was a 454, 4 Spd K30 dually with 4:56 gears that went from 5- 6 mpg to 7-8.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Thought this might be helpful to some members. I personally have not done this, I have the correct drill bit and reamer and have always bought proper bushings. But your average diy carb rebuild where a guy would just skip doing the throttle bushings,for cost,or fear, not having the tools? . This seems like a real good option.

Hey, I know Ray! He's a very intelligent fella and has performed some very nice restorations. I wouldn't hesitate to take his word on anything.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Many years ago when I had a carb leaking so bad that it required new bushings, I went to Tractor Supply, matched up bronze bushings that slip on the shaft, drilled it out and used green Loctite to retain it, then trimmed the excess. It wasn't that big of a deal but made all the difference in getting the carb back into the idle circuit along with fuel mileage. The truck was a 454, 4 Spd K30 dually with 4:56 gears that went from 5- 6 mpg to 7-8.
Some people think that carb bushings are black magic/voodoo hel! some of them think carbureators are.S o was just showing a less scary option.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chaps81dually