New member Lancaster Ca

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C30vet

Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Silverado
Engine Size
Update on the truck -
You must be registered for see images attach

Removed the transmission and replaced the front pump seal, tailshaft seal, filter and pan gasket and reinstalled the transmission.

C30vet

Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Silverado
Engine Size
I pressure washed and degreased the transmission while it was out.

Once the transmission was back in, and all buttoned up, I took the truck to its first car show. A local 4th Saturday cruise.

The tailgate didn't sit right since I bought the truck. Turns out the previous owner (who bought the truck from the original owner) said the tailgate was never installed on the truck. There were no trunnions or straps. I did a little research and found out that from 73-75 the straps were 15.5" long, and 76-80 they were 16". The previous owner installed hardware but they were the 76 and later variety so the tailgate hung too low when opened, and sat too high when closed. It was clear they weren't right, as he obviously had to beat them to get them to fit.

I replaced them with LS Fabrications stainless steel trunnion kit that incorporates a Delrin bushing and cable type straps. The tailgate closes much nicer, sits in the proper spot and doesn't rattle around while driving, or opening.

C30vet

Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Silverado
Engine Size
I chased down an exhaust leak from the left side of the engine. Seems there were a couple of problems, 1. the manifold wasn't tight at the rear, and 2, the number #5 exhaust port on the manifold side looks to be a little deteriorated. I'm hoping a thick gasket with metal around the port opening will seal up the issue. If not, I'll likely have to replace it.

I removed the smog tubes. The #1 cylinder was frozen in place, I had to soak it, and use vice grips to alternate tightening/loosening in order to get it out. I'll install some steel plugs to close up the holes.

Attachments

• IMG_2460.jpg
    IMG_2460.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2466.jpg
    IMG_2466.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2467.jpg
    IMG_2467.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2480.jpg
    IMG_2480.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 19

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
I chased down an exhaust leak from the left side of the engine. Seems there were a couple of problems, 1. the manifold wasn't tight at the rear, and 2, the number #5 exhaust port on the manifold side looks to be a little deteriorated. I'm hoping a thick gasket with metal around the port opening will seal up the issue. If not, I'll likely have to replace it.

I removed the smog tubes. The #1 cylinder was frozen in place, I had to soak it, and use vice grips to alternate tightening/loosening in order to get it out. I'll install some steel plugs to close up the holes.
You'll need the tubes and everything else smog related unless you're moving out of state or to a county that doesn't test. Can't pass emissions without it all installed and operational.

C30vet

Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Silverado
Engine Size
You'll need the tubes and everything else smog related unless you're moving out of state or to a county that doesn't test. Can't pass emissions without it all installed and operational.
This truck is a 1975 model, thus smog exempt. Don’t need any of the smog equipment. I’ll be glad to be rid of it all.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
This truck is a 1975 model, thus smog exempt. Don’t need any of the smog equipment. I’ll be glad to be rid of it all.
I was just thinking about my comment and looked at the beginning of the thread, saw '75, and then saw you commented.

Definitely offer up the parts for other members that may need them.

C30vet

Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Silverado
Engine Size
I was just thinking about my comment and looked at the beginning of the thread, saw '75, and then saw you commented.

Definitely offer up the parts for other members that may need them.
If there is anything worth using, I'll offer it up on here. As it stands, everything has been seized and isn't coming off whole. The smog tubes on the manifolds did not want to come out. I had to use unconventional methods to remove them. They're trash. The previous owner had removed the smog pump as well as the factory intake and carb, so those are gone as well.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size