Need an idea for a good improvised straight edge.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Pulled the head off one of my vehicles today,need to straight edge it. I have a good straight edge,somewhere. I'm going to attempt to find it tomorrow,but if anyone has any ideas,in case I can't find it, I'd like to hear them. Now for those of you unfamiliar,I'm looking for .004 or less warp on the head,so it has to be a very straight,straight edge,not just a yard stick or something. Kind if thinking of using dental floss,stretched tight over identical height spacers and using a 3rd spacer like a go no/go gauge if it goes under the floss with a gap or won't go under its no go. Any ideas? Hoping I find my straight edge.

Last edited:

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Quality level (Stabila) and a feeler gauge maybe

Robert Bare

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
check it with a string
Or find a metal rod, or wood dowel. Test by rolling it.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
.004 is pretty tight.
Decent bubble level.
Engineer or architect scale.
Drywall square
Big speed square or framing square
String line is always straight. I’d be thinking fishing line. Tough part is knowing if you’re hitting the line or if there’s a gap of a few thou.
Something rigid is better to bump the feeler gauge.

And idk what you’d find that is the same dimension to the thou basically. If you have 2 points gap sets could use those to shim the line up.
Straight cue stick, broom handle or rigid conduit or pipe should be very straight as well. Just harder the check. And not necessarily straight to .01 much less .001.
Some small aluminum tubing or angle (nice sharp square edges)
Bet the top edge of a long sawzall blade (a new one) or hand saw is very straight.
Long drill bit.
Upside down hand saw might be the best straight edge if you don’t have a framing square.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ratrodriley