Narrowing a Square Fleetside Bed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gearheadsqce

Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew Cab
Engine Size
Anyone ever narrowed a Fleetside Bed and then used Dually fenders to bring it back to stock width?

I think it might look cool to keep the Fleetside tail lights in place and give it a finished look. The tail gate would have a section removed from the middle.

I would do it on a Short Box, but it probably would look good on an 8 footer too.

Photoshop would be my friend, but I don't have a clue about that.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Like this one? Seen it at Dino’s twice now, it’s pretty good

Gearheadsqce

Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew Cab
Engine Size
TotalyHucked,

Yes that's the idea!
I'd sure like to see some more photos of it, particularly a straight on shot from the back.

Thanx for posting. Anybody else?

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
It looks good and has a very factory look. Besides the white one, there is another 1-2 running around the Phoenix area I've seen.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size

YakkoWarner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wolf
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Only thing I would consider with that would be to narrow the gate by trimming equal amounts off both sides rather than a chunk out of the middle, simply because it you would have a cut/weld seam right down the center of one of the most visible panels otherwise.

Gearheadsqce

Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew Cab
Engine Size
Thanx for the Instagram link.

Studying that truck more closely, he didn't use Dually fenders. Rather, he grafted true Stepside fenders which have more pleasing lines. A lot more work but worth it.

Cutting the tailgate could be done a number of ways. Any method will require a lot of metal finishing to make it perfect.

The more I look at it, the more I like it. Could see the concept use in a Pro Street theme. I like this one too!

Attachments

• ProStreet.jpg
    ProStreet.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 34

Gearheadsqce

Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew Cab
Engine Size
I'm about to buy a 1984 Long bed. I really would prefer a short box, but this truck checks all the other boxes for me. And, it is within my price range. That being said, I would consider shortening this one up.

I like both the Fleetside and Stepside versions. I might even opt for a Blazer length build.

So, this brings up a couple of other questions.

Is a short bed 6 1/2 ft. box the same length as a Blazer quarter panel? I have been told that it is. But the difference of 11" between the wheel bases makes me think that the blazer side is a bit shorter. I don's see that the normal bed gap of 2 or 3 inches and the distance between the door opening and the back of a cab would be that much. Can anyone verify the actual length of the Blazer side from door edge to the end of the tail light?

While I'm asking, does anyone have the overall length of a step side fender?
Is it the same length as a Dually fender? I know they are not interchangeable.
What about the widths of the two?
Calculations would make the Stepside about 15" which seems like a lot.

Thanx to all who have a tape measure and a few minutes to respond,

Bruce

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
That step/fleetside thing is kinda cool. The rear looks odd to me though, since the tailgate and bumper were narrowed, but they are still as tall as they were before. Losing the bumper for a roll pan may improve the proportions. I definitely like how they still incorporated the side step.

I'm about to buy a 1984 Long bed. I really would prefer a short box, but this truck checks all the other boxes for me. And, it is within my price range. That being said, I would consider shortening this one up.

I like both the Fleetside and Stepside versions. I might even opt for a Blazer length build.

So, this brings up a couple of other questions.

Is a short bed 6 1/2 ft. box the same length as a Blazer quarter panel? I have been told that it is. But the difference of 11" between the wheel bases makes me think that the blazer side is a bit shorter. I don's see that the normal bed gap of 2 or 3 inches and the distance between the door opening and the back of a cab would be that much. Can anyone verify the actual length of the Blazer side from door edge to the end of the tail light?

While I'm asking, does anyone have the overall length of a step side fender?
Is it the same length as a Dually fender? I know they are not interchangeable.
What about the widths of the two?
Calculations would make the Stepside about 15" which seems like a lot.

Thanx to all who have a tape measure and a few minutes to respond,

Bruce

I'm not home to measure stuff, but I'm pretty sure a Blazer quarter panel is a little shorter. The stepside fender is definitely wider/deeper than a dually fender. Longer too, I think.

Dually fenders are fiberglass/SMC. Stepside fenders are sheetmetal. If you want fenders that are custom shaped to go with custom shaped bedsides, steel is going to be "easier" to work with. It will still be a monumental task with a lot of tedious fabrication work though. That and I believe aftermarket stepside fenders are still readily available, where dually fenders are much harder to locate.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Anyone ever narrowed a Fleetside Bed and then used Dually fenders to bring it back to stock width?

I think it might look cool to keep the Fleetside tail lights in place and give it a finished look. The tail gate would have a section removed from the middle.

I would do it on a Short Box, but it probably would look good on an 8 footer too.

Photoshop would be my friend, but I don't have a clue about that.
Pretty cool idea. I came close to doing a 3+3 dually short bed conversion. And thought about using a step side bed instead. Probably widen the step bed to make it work?

Gearheadsqce

Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew Cab
Engine Size
Well, I answered some of my own questions.
A Short Box Side measures 81" from the front edge to the rear of the tail light at the body crease.
A Blazer is 77.5".

From the front edge of the Short Box to the center of the rear axle is 42.5" measured with my calibrated eyeball.
The same dimension for the Blazer is 36.5"

This shows that the Blazer is shorter both in front of and behind the axle.

Inquiring minds want to know.

I am going to look for and measure an 8'(?) box and both a Step Side and a Dually fender when I come across those parts.

If anyone else wants to contribute, pleas feel free to do so.

Still looking to build a Frankentruck!

Gearheadsqce

Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew Cab
Engine Size
Anyone know this truck? This is the only pic I can find and can't seem to find the origin of it.
You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OurDually