L76 Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hikertrash87c10

Reaction score
First Name
CJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
going to have the cam and DOD delete done but looking for recommendations on the kits from either Texas Speed or BTR. good bad and the ugly if there are any between the two.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
going to have the cam and DOD delete done but looking for recommendations on the kits from either Texas Speed or BTR. good bad and the ugly if there are any between the two.
I was underwhelmed by TSP. I tried calling their tech support to get their thoughts on a cam selection and there was a lot of "huh?". They seemed more like salesmen than techs and it took a lot of back and forth to get VVT cam tables that their own website said they would provide. If I was doing it over again I would have deleted the VVT and called BTR direct for their recommendations. Just my .02

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
What's the plans for the truck? Cruiser, drag truck, autoX, highway flyer, all of the above? I've used both BTR and TSP and had good experiences with both

hikertrash87c10

Reaction score
First Name
CJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
What's the plans for the truck? Cruiser, drag truck, autoX, highway flyer, all of the above? I've used both BTR and TSP and had good experiences with both
just a weekend cruiser that can roast the tires when i want it to. not big racing plans by any means but want power and realibility out of it

Clovis

Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
Just finished a rebuild on a l76 it’s running the Texas speed kit being able to buy replacement o rings for the valley cover is a plus the kit was installed for the first time about 7 years back new o rings and back together seems pretty good quality to me

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Just finished a rebuild on a l76 it’s running the Texas speed kit being able to buy replacement o rings for the valley cover is a plus the kit was installed for the first time about 7 years back new o rings and back together seems pretty good quality to me
I just bought a National LM603049 bearing(apparently A-37 will also work) and took it apart. The rollers are tapered and a perfect fit for the oil towers for the DOD system. They will drop right in and a few light taps secure them in the block, then you never need to replace the O-rings... because they aren't even needed. DOD oiling will be permanently blocked off.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
just a weekend cruiser that can roast the tires when i want it to. not big racing plans by any means but want power and realibility out of it
Well, depends on how rowdy you want and whether or not you want to put a loose converter in or not. Not saying you do or don't cuz I don't know but if you don't have a good understanding of camshaft design and how they work, I'd suggest calling or emailing either (or both) company so they can give you some suggestions. They'll want info from ya about your package and planned usage of the truck and spec something from there.

I like some chop and some rowdiness so I went with the BTR Stage 4 V2 truck cam the first time around. You've gotta run a converter with something this rowdy, I used a Circle D 2800-3000 and really could've used a little more like a 3200-3400. It worked very well, kept the torque down low but sounded awesome and really woke up above 2500.

A BTR stage 2 cam also gets you a little chop but is much milder and keeps more torque down low. It can be used with a stock torque converter. I plan to put one of these in my next NBS.

The second time I put the truck together with a T56 6-speed, I went with the TSP Bald Eagle N/A cam. It's ROWDY, sounds amazing and MAN at the power above 3500+. But it definitely would need a 3600+ converter to drive well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OurDually