Just curious.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laqota

Reaction score
First Name
Jerame
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Is it me or does one of the combustion chambers look different than the others?
Visual Illusion from using my Wide angle camera and the amazing amount of surface rust on one side. I measured, they're the same size in each cylinder (Possibly rebuilt before badly? It looks freshly honed)
How many miles on the engine?

New head and intake gaskets won't hurt a thing.
Have a machine shop check out the heads too before you put them back on.
They do crack.
This was my my grandfathers truck, it was in a used car lot, probably around 60000 miles and never ran since the early 90s because of a major vacuum leak, which he got it repaired by replacing the Manifold Vacuum Port on the Intake. He bought it in 2009 and believe it or not, did frequent oil changes. I asked! The old owner just didn't take care of it within' that time frame.

The meter says 700k, but I don't believe it. It drove a bit to get home and didn't change, and I've been "driving" it up and down our street to make sure it was functioning correctly after anything I did (such as, I deleted my Vacuum. Didn't seem necessary, car lot people deleted EGR anyways). Meter has stayed at the exact same number, never moved an inch.
@Laqota, bummer dude. I’m not an expert at reading engines, but it certainly appears to be eating coolant on #5 and possibly others.
If it was a smooth running engine save for the coolant leak and you have more time than money, I’d consider cleaning up the head and block, straight edge it and check carefully for cracks. Get new top end gaskets and go for it.
Hard to say what’s best, based on your budget, time and how you plan on using the truck, but an old crusty 305 is not a motor to stick any real money into.
Sounds good. I got few guys I can look to, I've been looking to one guy and he's been real helpful. Lettin' me borrow his Torque wrenches, hoists if I need it. He said he's getting me some head gaskets, and when I showed him this one he said "This is too thin, probably stock. I'll get you some gaskets". I've seen the engines he's built and I'll probably be getting copper ones.

This engine is more of a project because I'm not afraid to buy a new engine if this one blows. This is just gonna be a go to job, come back home from job, relax. My current quote for a rebuilt 350 is $2000 starting which isn't bad compared to how much it costs for my dads ol' Ford F150 engine.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Visual Illusion from using my Wide angle camera and the amazing amount of surface rust on one side. I measured, they're the same size in each cylinder (Possibly rebuilt before badly? It looks freshly honed)

This was my my grandfathers truck, it was in a used car lot, probably around 60000 miles and never ran since the early 90s because of a major vacuum leak, which he got it repaired by replacing the Manifold Vacuum Port on the Intake. He bought it in 2009 and believe it or not, did frequent oil changes. I asked! The old owner just didn't take care of it within' that time frame.

The meter says 700k, but I don't believe it. It drove a bit to get home and didn't change, and I've been "driving" it up and down our street to make sure it was functioning correctly after anything I did (such as, I deleted my Vacuum. Didn't seem necessary, car lot people deleted EGR anyways). Meter has stayed at the exact same number, never moved an inch.

Sounds good. I got few guys I can look to, I've been looking to one guy and he's been real helpful. Lettin' me borrow his Torque wrenches, hoists if I need it. He said he's getting me some head gaskets, and when I showed him this one he said "This is too thin, probably stock. I'll get you some gaskets". I've seen the engines he's built and I'll probably be getting copper ones.

This engine is more of a project because I'm not afraid to buy a new engine if this one blows. This is just gonna be a go to job, come back home from job, relax. My current quote for a rebuilt 350 is $2000 starting which isn't bad compared to how much it costs for my dads ol' Ford F150 engine.
Quit deleting things,unless you 100 percent understand them.Often deleting things causes more problems.Believe it or not the truck ran fine at one point with all the deleted items intact. What engine does this truck have in it. When you delete things,or change various parts at random it makes repair harder,because now there are new variables added in. As for head gasket on a daily temp. beater I'd just go with a standard replacement,felpro permatorque darn near fool proof head gasket.

Laqota

Reaction score
First Name
Jerame
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Quit deleting things,unless you 100 percent understand them.Often deleting things causes more problems.Believe it or not the truck ran fine at one point with all the deleted items intact. What engine does this truck have in it. When you delete things,or change various parts at random it makes repair harder,because now there are new variables added in. As for head gasket on a daily temp. beater I'd just go with a standard replacement,felpro permatorque darn near fool proof head gasket.
I knew what I was doing, I've been reading "Haynes Repair Manual" which shows almost everything in my truck. The only things I've kept hooked up to Vacuum is my HVAC, My Brake Booster, my transmission and Vacuum Advance and sensors (except my EGR Bleed)

1. I unhooked my EFE, and plugged the EFE TVS with Caps since I had a different breather connected up where it wouldn't be pushing the exhaust gases back in to the engine to heat the engine and I made sure it was open and stayed that way.
2. I unhooked my Cruise Control, and Vacuum hold ball since this thing ain't ever travelling, and also it had a hissing sound when connected to vacuum.
3. I deleted my Canister because the only thing it seemed to have been hooked up to is an old, long, worn out rubber tube that used to lead to the EGR, and then hooked up with the PCV valve. It wasn't really doin' much except causing a vacuum leak. It was also really small and only had two points, where as I look at the Vacuum Diagram there is supposed to be three so prob aftermarket crap.

It also wasn't running right, that's why I deleted it. It had poor acceleration before and ran fine for about a few months. My carb float failed and started drinking gasoline real bad and backfiring before I turned it off and it ran-on real bad. After a carb replacement to an Edelbrock 1406 It's ran really good except the fact I was littering the neighborhood with white smoke. This is probably what took my head gasket out.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
No you didn't know were doing,still don't. And I'm done. Good luck

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
No you didn't know were doing,still don't. And I'm done. Good luck
I’ll admit @Laqota is backwards on some of his thinking there, and there are other considerations with 80s 305s and deleting “stuff”, but yeah, not everyone has 40 years as a Chevy mechanic or whatever…

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I’ll admit @Laqota is backwards on some of his thinking there, and there are other considerations with 80s 305s and deleting “stuff”, but yeah, not everyone has 40 years as a Chevy mechanic or whatever…
These are not the postings of someone who even kind of knows how these systems work. I was just trying to get him to quit chasing ghosts and get after the real problem. If he hadn't told me he knew what he was doing,I wouldn't have told him he didn't. Truth hurts,sorry. What I know least about is upholstery and transfer cases. If someone who did know it,told me quit modifying something I didn't understand. I wouldn't come back with I know what I'm doing,because I'd expect him to come back with,no you don't.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240814_224448_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240814_224448_Chrome.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_2024-08-14_223043.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-08-14_223043.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_2024-08-14_223003.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-08-14_223003.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Laqota

Reaction score
First Name
Jerame
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
These are not the postings of someone who even kind of knows how these systems work. I was just trying to get him to quit chasing ghosts and get after the real problem. If he hadn't told me he knew what he was doing,I wouldn't have told him he didn't. Truth hurts,sorry. What I know least about is upholstery and transfer cases. If someone who did know it,told me quit modifying something I didn't understand. I wouldn't come back with I know what I'm doing,because I'd expect him to come back with,no you don't.
If your above the age of 30, I hope your kids are alright.

This is a self repair. Ive been learning for about a year from mutiple mechanic neighbors. the EFE and EGR tvs valves are Plunger Acuated Valves. It doesn't pull air from the intake or thermostat, it redirects it based on conditions. It doesn't need to be plugged whatsoever, since they Don't work without a vacuum source connected from the carb/intake ports.

And yeah. An engine chugging gasoline can cause it to detonate which can destroy the Head gaskets and other gaskets in the engine depending on how bad it is.

And I wasn't wrong. Everything can be deleted if you don't have smog/emission laws. Vacuum canister is an emission system to keep that evil, government controlled, nanobot ridden fumes out of the air and sucking it back in to the engine.

I'm being taught by those who work on these really old cars and have been in the industry for over 40 years. I don't care who you are, what you do. I came to get a second opinion, not to be harassed for something silly. Have a great day, grandpa.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
If your above the age of 30, I hope your kids are alright.

This is a self repair. Ive been learning for about a year from mutiple mechanic neighbors. the EFE and EGR tvs valves are Plunger Acuated Valves. It doesn't pull air from the intake or thermostat, it redirects it based on conditions. It doesn't need to be plugged whatsoever, since they Don't work without a vacuum source connected from the carb/intake ports.

And yeah. An engine chugging gasoline can cause it to detonate which can destroy the Head gaskets and other gaskets in the engine depending on how bad it is.

And I wasn't wrong. Everything can be deleted if you don't have smog/emission laws. Vacuum canister is an emission system to keep that evil, government controlled, nanobot ridden fumes out of the air and sucking it back in to the engine.

I'm being taught by those who work on these really old cars and have been in the industry for over 40 years. I don't care who you are, what you do. I came to get a second opinion, not to be harassed for something silly. Have a great day, grandpa.
You still don't know what you are doing.Most everything you said is incorrect and further reinforces my opinion that you don't know what your talking about.And I don't care!!!!Im not going to argue with you. I'm done, good luck junior.

Last edited:

Laqota

Reaction score
First Name
Jerame
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
You still don't know what you are doing.Most everything you said is incorrect and further reinforces my opinion that you don't know what your talking about.And I don't care!!!!Im not going to argue with you. I'm done, good luck junior.
Ok grandpa. I can confirm, to deny, to this statement and I will not be letting some old dirtbag give me false information.

I'll be taking information from people I know who are smart, in real life, instead of some old guy playing solitaire on their phone and typing on an online forum all day.

My truck ran for months without problems until my stock rochester carb failed. I am no longer interested since @Grit dog pretty much already closed this up and it shouldn't have even continued (but, your entitled grouchy retired wrinkly ass had to complain about something). Goodnight grandpa.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Ok grandpa. I can confirm, to deny, to this statement and I will not be letting some old dirtbag give me false information.

I'll be taking information from people I know who are smart, in real life, instead of some old guy playing solitaire on their phone and typing on an online forum all day.

My truck ran for months without problems until my stock rochester carb failed. I am no longer interested since @Grit dog pretty much already closed this up and it shouldn't have even continued (but, your entitled grouchy retired wrinkly ass had to complain about something). Goodnight grandpa.
When you can't say something smart. Calll someone names,that'll Prove you're smart!!!

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
@Laqota and @Ricko1966 , get a room and hump each other's leg over there. In the meantime, stop muddying up threads with you sexual tension.

I'm locking this thread as it seems to have been covered already and no need to add to it further.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REK1