Intermittent wipers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

etedeschi72

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hi,
I've got an '81 K20 that used to have the wiper switch on the dash and high beam switch on the floor. At some point before I bought the truck, the PO put in a steering column from and '84 or '85 with the wipers and high/low beams being relocated to the directional lever on the column. They only have low and high and when I turn them off, they don't go back to the rest position, they just stop wherever i turn them off. I'd like to possibly upgrade them further by making them intermittent. So, my question is, HOW? Exactly what do I need or need to do to make it possible? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
the intermittent is controlled by a pulse module that plugs into either side of the wiper harness at the base of the steering column. not sure if this can be readily added, depends on how PO modified the switch location.

not parking sounds like a park switch issue in the motor itself.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
350 w/203
First off, I'd say that the PARK switch inside of the wiper motor cover is toast. Sometimes you can clean the contacts and that fixes it.
For the intermittant upgrade you'll need a new motor that has the circuit. Check out the GMSB TECH guides for your '81 and whatever year the pulse type came out. IDK.

etedeschi72

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So, I would need a new wiper motor with the right circuit, a new pulse module and a new directional lever for intermittent wipers?

dhartman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
c15
Engine Size
Definitely want to follow this question. We to have a 80 that I would love to upgrade to intermittent wipers but leave the control on the dash were it is. I have seen that they make a relay for pre 1980 systems in LMC truck and there also is a intermittent wiper switch. I completely understand the motor aspect however could one say modify or has anyone ever done this to there truck. Do not want to go to the newer steering column I already restored out tilt column.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chaps81dually