Intermittent noise coming from DF wheel area

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fjordlander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale K10
Engine Size
V8
Hello all!
I have a 76 K10 Scottsdale and recently I've been plagued by an intermittent noise coming from the front driver's side wheel area. It's a loud squealing/grinding type sound and it will start happening randomly and will go away if I let off the gas or if I press on the gas harder so I'm fairly confident it's not the brakes. If anyone has ideas for me to troubleshoot I would greatly appreciate it!

Fjordlander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale K10
Engine Size
V8
Could the noise be related to the driveshaft somehow?
I'm pretty sure it's not a wheel bearing since it happens randomly and it doesn't seem to be anything with the brakes

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
Np203? Still full time 4wd?

If you suspect driveshaft (front?) maybe pull it, take a test drive in hi loc and see what happens.

In my experience driveshaft issues don’t really make noise, unless if it is bent or physically hitting something. Might experience some vibration, but even then it’s not guaranteed.

My Dart, for example, the rear joint had one cap that had no needle bearings at all was rusty, had been for a good while before I got the car. I drove thousands of miles like that and never had a vibration or noise from it, minor clunk going into reverse or drive, nothing at speed.
You must be registered for see images attach

Finding noises can be a lot of fun, some are really good at projecting themselves and giving red herrings to throw one off.

Maybe put the truck on jack stands (all 4 corners), in neutral, steering unlocked, rotate each corner slowly, and listen, try different steering angles. Something might reveal itself either as a sound or feeling as the motion occurs.

Just some ideas.

Fjordlander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale K10
Engine Size
V8
Np203? Still full time 4wd?

If you suspect driveshaft (front?) maybe pull it, take a test drive in hi loc and see what happens.

In my experience driveshaft issues don’t really make noise, unless if it is bent or physically hitting something. Might experience some vibration, but even then it’s not guaranteed.

My Dart, for example, the rear joint had one cap that had no needle bearings at all was rusty, had been for a good while before I got the car. I drove thousands of miles like that and never had a vibration or noise from it, minor clunk going into reverse or drive, nothing at speed.
You must be registered for see images attach

Finding noises can be a lot of fun, some are really good at projecting themselves and giving red herrings to throw one off.

Maybe put the truck on jack stands (all 4 corners), in neutral, steering unlocked, rotate each corner slowly, and listen, try different steering angles. Something might reveal itself either as a sound or feeling as the motion occurs.

Just some ideas.
Yeah it's still full time 4wd. I'll put it up on jack stands like you suggested and see if I learn anything

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, k30, k20, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Front axle inner u joint maybe.

Latest posts