installing drop spindle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gene76

Reaction score
First Name
Gene
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I want to install 2 1/2" drop spindles on my stock 1976 chevy c10 and am interested if any issues will come on doing this as I have read about having to do some cutting on the lower control arms. I plan on maybe 17 x8" rims As of now I am considering just smotthie style chrome rims. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have lowered the rear a couple inches already. Any preference on suppliers also.
Thanks
Gene

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
With a 17x8 you shouldn't need to trim the a-arms, that's usually only an issue with a 15x8.

You will have to bend the brake line slightly for clearance around the upper ball joint nut. Not really a big deal though.

shelly

Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30 crew cab single wheel
Engine Size
TBI 350
When I did my 3" drop spindles with a 3" drop spring I could not run my factory 16"s due to them contacting the A arms. I ended up running 20's and now waiting on tubular control arms to fix my steering issues associated with the drop, but your 17's should work just fine. Just like bluex said you will need to bend the break line. I however did not need to clearance the ball-joint nut.

Gene76

Reaction score
First Name
Gene
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks bluex I just ran across your reply.

SS1019

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 SWB
Engine Size
I just installed 2 1/2" dropped spindles on my 78 C10. McGaughys spindles, no interference with the 15x8 rallies on the front. Had to remove the wheel weights from the inside rim and replace them with stick on tape weights in the center of the wheels was the only issue.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
McGaughys spindles, no interference with the 15x8 rallies on the front. Had to remove the wheel weights from the inside rim and replace them with stick on tape weights in the center of the wheels was the only issue.
The weights are what hit on my 85 as well.
But I went up wheel size so it wasn't an issue. I'd like to actually find some 4" spindles (to get rid of the drop springs) but I think that moves the geometry up too far and they're not made.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
78crustdumdlux