Help with 86 K5 Tailgate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt Wettig

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Shortbed
Engine Size
I bought a 1986 K5 Blazer. When you put the back window down it stops with about 3 inches of the glass sticking up. And then when you pull the inside handle it will not open. Someone told me there was a safety switch in the tailgate. Can someone give me an idea what it going on with it? Motor seems strong. Window goes up and down good it just doesnt go all the way down. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
It could be the previous owner worked on it and didn't have the gears in the proper position when they put it back together. Could be your side tracks are out of adjustment. The safety switch is towards the bottom on the tailgate so if your window isn't going all the way down, you are not engaging it.

You can take the cover off, and check if the gears are engaging all the way down.

Matt Wettig

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Shortbed
Engine Size
Ok thanks. I was going to crawl in the back and take the cover off and see what was going on. Just wanted some feedback before I did it.

GTX63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Once you have the cover off you can check for binding, misalignment, lack of grease, etc, but you can also unhook the drive cable and attach it to a drill to confirm if you have drive motor issues.

Last edited:

Matt Wettig

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Shortbed
Engine Size
Ok thank you. I will advise after I look at it.

Matt Wettig

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Shortbed
Engine Size
Well I got it apart today. First thing I found is someone has bypassed the safety switch. There is a linkage that goes below the latch mechanism. It has a spring on it and fits in a plastic clip. Spring was broke. Plastic clip is broke and the linkage was laying in the bottom of the tailgate preventing the window from going all the way down. I liked to never got the tailgate open. When you pull on the handle it barely moved the rods. I tried adjusting it and it didnt do any good. Had to pull on both rods to release gate. Latches are way out of alignment also.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrbollweevil97