Head gasket Job

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

73LAGGY

Reaction score
First Name
levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
350 Small Block
The other day, I was inspecting the engine bay when I noticed something leaking near the back of the engine. It was green in color, and since no other fluid in the engine is green, I concluded that it must be the coolant. My Plan A (the cheaper option) is to try a chemical fix, like Blue Devil, though I'm not too keen on it since I’d constantly worry about it. Plan B (more expensive and time-consuming) is to replace the head gasket for peace of mind, and I'm leaning toward that option.

Do you have any advice on things I should watch out for when doing the gasket replacement? Should I invest in studs, or stick with bolts? Any online manuals, torque patterns and specs? I'm currently pricing out the parts and gathering all the info upfront, hoping the process goes smoothly.

Last edited:

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
The other day, I was inspecting the engine bay when I noticed something leaking near the back of the engine. It was green in color, and since no other fluid in the engine is green, I concluded that it must be the coolant. My Plan A (the cheaper option) is to try a chemical fix, like Blue Devil, though I'm not too keen on it since I’d constantly worry about it. Plan B (more expensive and time-consuming) is to replace the head gasket for peace of mind, and I'm leaning toward that option.

Do you have any advice on things I should watch out for when doing the gasket replacement? Should I invest in studs, or stick with bolts? Any online manuals, torque patterns and specs? I'm currently pricing out the parts and gathering all the info upfront, hoping the process goes smoothly.
It is unlikely to be leaking from a head gasket in that area. It is more likely to be the intake manifold seal or similar. Best advise would be to not assume that you have a bad head gasket right from the jump and actually hunt down the real problem. Its probably not a bad idea to have a head gasket ready just in case, because by the time you have taken everything off to the point of getting the intake off, it's a quick job to get the head off and change the gasket.

SBC head bolts are reusable, but also cheap. You can get a new set for like $40. Stock is fine unless you have high HP or aluminum heads.

Run a thin bit of RTV around the coolant ports at the front and back of the head when installing the new gaskets. Use the black or Gray right stuff RTV for that and the China wall so that it can set and be ready to use same day. If you use another type, it will usually need to cure for 24-48 hours before being filled and ran or it can blow out and leak.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Yes, do need to verify where it is leaking first. Intake is more likely. However, do disagree on replacing the head gasket because your partially into it. I am from the school if it aint broke don't fix it.

Overnight is fine on the silicone. That's all we do in a shop setting [if that], never had an issue.

Will add, use some sort of sealant on the intake bolts, silicone or liquid Teflon is fine. There are 2 different length bolts. Do not mix the shorter with the longer ones. If done it is possible to lock up a pushrod.

73LAGGY

Reaction score
First Name
levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
350 Small Block
It is unlikely to be leaking from a head gasket in that area. It is more likely to be the intake manifold seal or similar. Best advise would be to not assume that you have a bad head gasket right from the jump and actually hunt down the real problem. Its probably not a bad idea to have a head gasket ready just in case, because by the time you have taken everything off to the point of getting the intake off, it's a quick job to get the head off and change the gasket.

SBC head bolts are reusable, but also cheap. You can get a new set for like $40. Stock is fine unless you have high HP or aluminum heads.

Run a thin bit of RTV around the coolant ports at the front and back of the head when installing the new gaskets. Use the black or Gray right stuff RTV for that and the China wall so that it can set and be ready to use same day. If you use another type, it will usually need to cure for 24-48 hours before being filled and ran or it can blow out and leak.
Edit… feel like and idiot. The picture in my mind is not adding up to what I’ve said. Thanks for the advice

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It’s definitely coming from the head gasket, right above the last spark plug. I could try and re torque the head bolts and add blue devil and see if that would fix it.

The spark plugs are above the head gasket...

73LAGGY

Reaction score
First Name
levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
350 Small Block
Yes, do need to verify where it is leaking first. Intake is more likely. However, do disagree on replacing the head gasket because your partially into it. I am from the school if it aint broke don't fix it.

Overnight is fine on the silicone. That's all we do in a shop setting [if that], never had an issue.

Will add, use some sort of sealant on the intake bolts, silicone or liquid Teflon is fine. There are 2 different length bolts. Do not mix the shorter with the longer ones. If done it is possible to lock up

The spark plugs are above the head gasket...
Haha you’d be correct … haven’t looked at it in a couple of days…

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl

Will add, use some sort of sealant on the intake bolts, silicone or liquid Teflon is fine. There are 2 different length bolts. Do not mix the shorter with the longer ones. If done it is possible to lock up a pushrod.
To clarify, I was NOT saying to change the head gasket if it wasn't leaking from there. I was saying to have everything ready to do so if you have it pulled down for the intake gasket and can then verify for sure that it is indeed leaking from the head and not the intake gasket. It is easier to return parts you don't need then it is to go get them after you already have it torn all the way down and then realize you need it.

DEFINITELY put sealant on the intake bolts or you WILL have oil on top of the intake after a bit of driving around.

You definitely need to look and properly identify where the leak is coming from. I would not put a head gasket sealer like blue devil in there unless you are prepared to have a clogged up heater core and everywhere else in the cooling system as well.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
If it's dripping on a spark plug,it's gotta be from the intake,maybe tracking around on the edge of the valve cover,or a heater hose pi ssing on a valve cover.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
78crustdumdlux