GMT 800 cab corners/rockers rust?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1986, 1977
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
454, 350
So I’m sure many of you are familiar with these trucks.
Looking at a cat eye reg cab pickup. ( Not in person yet, it’s 9 hours away in MT).
Been a MT truck it’s whole life but it’s an original 50k mile grampa truck that by all accounts is absolutely pristine. Undercarriage pics look beautiful. Looks like it never even went on a muddy road. Paint on the fenders not beat up from rocks n such. Got a history of a grampas summer driver with round town trips in the winter and lotsa car washes (whatever).
But the bottom corners of the cab corners/rockers is actually rusting through.
Kinda surprised.
I know rust happens, but this thing is mint otherwise.
Drainage issue? Traps water? Can corners made of recycled soup cans?
If you saw this truck it wouldn’t make sense.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
I have yet to look at one real close that had rust like that but it's certainly a common issue in the GMT800s. Cab corners and rockers both like to rust through, even if the truck is mostly cared for. I know the rockers have some drains that can get clogged and I'd assume that's why they rot but I'm not sure on the cab corners. I've had 7 of these trucks but all have been completely rust free so I never had a reason to look close. Hopefully someone else has.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zcostilla